Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

backgound colors for IE8

Jun 29, 2013 4:28 PM

Tags: #help #dreamweaver #cs6

i built a landing page and micro site but the backgound colors dont appear in IE8 what do i have to do to have my backgound colors and styles appear in IE8?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 29, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to JJkeeganVI

Answers are in your code.  Can you share a link?

IE8 doesn't support CSS gradients.  If you're using them, you'll need to add MS filter alternates.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to JJkeeganVI

background: #000000;

or

background-color: #000000;

should both work with IE8.

I never had any troubles with that. Check your CSS for missing punctuation too.  ":", ";" or "}" missing can or will throw everything after it off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to JJkeeganVI

rgba (color & transparency)  is not supported in pre-IE9 browsers.

You'll need to feed older browsers an IE conditional comment with hex color codes.  Put this below all other styles and links to external CSS files -- just before the closing </head> tag.

<!--[if lt IE 9]>
    <style>
    body {background-color: #7CEF09;}
    </style>
    <![endif]-->    

That said, transparency isn't well supported either.  So you would need to use some opacity filters for that.  However I caution against using Filters as they create other unpleasant side effects such as disabling Clear Type.

I'll be so glad when IE8 is dead!

Nancy O.

Message was edited by: Nancy O.   Code got munged in the forum.  Let's try again...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to JJkeeganVI

body                    {background-color: rgba(102,204,0,.5);}

change that to

body                    {background-color: #6C0;}

and drop the opacity since older browsers won't "play well" with it anyway.

I try to stay away from RGBA color declarations and use hexadecimal. It's a personal preference which most likely makes no difference, but I can't see the purpose in decalring an opacity in a background.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 29, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to JJkeeganVI

http://www.javascripter.net/faq/rgbtohex.htm

There's a converter at that link.

Transparency is not a property that older browsers "do well" without a lot of tweaking.  Pick solid colors and leave them 100% if you want full compatibility with older IE.  I detest having to add all kinds of extra junk to a page just to make it work with a browser that should be more compatible with 2013 web standards... especially one from a company whose OS is on more computers than any other. It forces me to "keep it simple" in a lot of my designs, but I tell clients and I even put on soem sites I build that "this will look better in a browser other than IE". I really think Microsoft sould get out of the broiwser business. after all, they've demonstrated over the last fifteen years that they can't even get Windows right until a version has been around for ten years, and then what do they do? Replace it with something that people can't stand.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points