Skip navigation
JB5366
Currently Being Moderated

Recording picking up click/clack shoe background noise - how to adjust for voice only.

Jun 30, 2013 2:52 AM

Tags: #audition

Hi, and thank you for taking the time to help me.

Today, as a beginner to Adobe Audition, I wanted to record a video with backup audio for my students.

So, I plugged my wireless mic into the computer, opened adobe audition, selected new, and then hit record. Nice & easy.

However, when I played it back, the sound of my shoe going clip/clop on the floorboards as I was walking around, was picked up (and very well too!).

How do I change the settings so the software/microphone only pics up my voice and not other noises?

Thanks,

Jane.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2013 3:29 AM   in reply to JB5366

Where was the microphone placed? You always need to make sure that it is placed much closer to the sound you want than to those that you don't. Also you might well have to use a more directional mic.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2013 4:01 AM   in reply to JB5366

JB5366 wrote:

How do I change the settings so the software/microphone only pics up my voice and not other noises?

Just to reinforce what ryclark says, I should point out that this has nothing - whatsoever - under any circumstances - to do with software, or its settings!

The software can be used sometimes to correct or compensate for awful mic placement, but not with non-continuous impact-type noises. The key to getting a recording of what you actually want is absolutely in the positioning of the mic. Audition only records what it is sent by your sound device - nothing more, nothing less. And nothing the software can do will ever improve a poor mic pickup; partial compensation is the best it can ever do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 4:22 AM   in reply to JB5366

If you haven't noticed this before with other software (and the setup of your lav mic was identical) then it's simply the case that your previous recordings were poor quality, so the noises were muffled out.

As others have said, Audition will record exactly what it's given; so if the sound is detected by the mic, it will appear in the recording. If you can't remove the source of the noise, filtering it out afterwards is possible but time-consuming. Impact noises such as footsteps are wide-band, so you can't just cut out one frequency. Audition does however have a very good spectral healing tool, which allows you to 'paint out' individual sounds on the spectral display. You can't avoid culling some of the other tones, but for those very short time slices I expect you can get an acceptable result. It cannot be automated so you're in for a lot of post-processing!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to JB5366

JB5366 wrote:

Hi There, it's a lapel microphone, clicked on the collar of my shirt.

I've used other audio programs before and this hasn't happened. I started using audition as a recommendation from a friend as he said it would produce a cleaner sound.

Thank you for your time.

Audition has many merits and many abilities but "producing a cleaner sound" isn't one of them.  The sound you get is determined by a mix of your microphone and the audio interface used to input this into your computer.  Audition simply records the data handed to it by your mic and interface with no additional processing whatsoever.

Most clip on lav mics have an omni pickup pattern which means they pick up equally from every direction.  This makes them fairly susceptible to room acoustics--a harder floor or barer wall could be part of your culprit.

At the risk of sounding facetious...and I don't mean to...have you considered soft soled shoes?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to JB5366

Apart from new shoes you could also do a 'voice over' and re-record your vocals under better conditions on another track and sync them to the original video

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points