Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CS6, CC refuses to work

Jun 30, 2013 9:29 AM

Tags: #cs5 #adobe #bridge #mac #osx #cs6 #adobe_bridge #cc #adobe_bridge_cs5 #mountain_lion #adobe_bridge_cs6 #adobe_bridge_cc #osx_10.8.4

So here's my delimma; i'm wanting to process my JPGs in Raw from Bridge, but I can't get bridge to work.

I had CS5, CS6 and uninstalled both, then installed CC hoping that it would fix the Bridge problem but it didn't. Every time I open it I get 'opration can not be completed' then it stalls at 'building critera' with the wheel spinning in the lower left corner. I checked console to see if there was a message coming up, and there is something going on with the audio drivers. At first it was one particular HAS pulgin (Jack Router) that was casuing it to screw up, so I deleted it.

No avail.

Basically I get the error message every time I open Bridge, then I try and click something and it freezes up. I've held down 'option' on startup and reset EVERYTHING. I've run Disk utility and FSCKd the disk to make sure it was clean.

Mac OSX 10.8.4

Macbook Pro Late 2011 15in i7 16GB 1600MHz (I run photoshop without error)

Over 250gb left on my HD

I'll attach the screenshots of the console messages. But here's the checklist of what DOES NOT work:

• Reset Bridge
  • Restart Computer
  • FSCK (repairing permissions the hardcore way)
  • Uninstalling CS5 and 6
  • Running under the Root account (same error message)

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 11.10.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 11.10.43 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

Uninstalling CS5 and 6 will not have any effect, except it might foul up file associations.  If you are going to not reinstall CS5 and CS6 I would uninstall CC also, run Adobe Script Cleaner then reinstall CC.  If you want CS5 and CS6 best to install in order, CS5, CS6, CC.  Remember, if you stop subscription to CC you have nothing.

You may also want to try this.  It is for CS6 but change to CC and Bridge 6

~library/caches/Adobe/Bridge CS6 and inhere should be 2 files:

Adobe Bridge Plug-in Cache

and the folder called Cache. Inhere should be 4 folders called '254', '1024', 'data' and 'full'

All those folders carry the content of the respective quality of the thumbs and preview as well as 100 % cache and Bridge database.

Any way, Since you have not used Bridge you have no relevant amount of cache and I would suggest you quit both PS and Bridge and manual delete both the items (plug in and folder called cache at the end of the Bridge CS6 path mentioned above.

(both files will refresh itself after a restart of Bridge).

To be on the save side also visit in same user library the folder Preferences and look for the file called "com.adobe.bridge5.plist" (yes it is Bridge 5 that comes with CS6, all Adobe apps have their own version number and they are presented in the same Suite version. CS6 has PS version 13 and Bridge version 5 )

also drag this file to the trash.

Then hold down option key (alt) while starting Bridge and this should give you the option to reset the preferences as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Choose reset prefs and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

At this stage uninstall CC and run Adobe Script Cleaner.  Maybe run 2 times with reboot between.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

If you use embedded thumbnails the cache builds fairly quickly as they are small.  If you use HQ and keep 100% preview it will take a lot of time and HD space.  Maybe an hour for 1000 raw images, but that is just an educated guess.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 1, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to Curt Y

If you use HQ and keep 100% preview it will take a lot of time and HD space.

It does indeed but frankly (while knowing everyone uses different workflows) HQ previews is the only way to use Bridge as it is meant to be. If you only build thumbnails then you have no real option to view the results of your work, nor can you judge them to sort the bulk.

And when you need to click on a thumb to let it build a HQ preview on demand to judge the quality and sharpness (and then again need to click for 100 % preview in critical sharpness) the time you won in the beginning is catching up very soon, not to mention the danger of RSI for all those clicks…

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 1, 2013 12:28 AM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

If anything I'll do a completely clean install of my OSX and Adobe and go from there.

I did miss the use of the Adobe Clean Tool in the list of solutions you provided. Combined with the use of Easy Find to check other left Adobe files (and if you wish trash them) this might be a quicker option instead of a clean install. (although if you have not done so a long time then a really clean install can give you a lot of pleasure, that is if you don't copy old settings from time machine or other Mac when the installer asks for it...)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

I assume you have read the threads on the subject of building critera?  Here is one.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4747618#4747618

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

There are just some computer that have settings or sofware that refuse to play correctly.  As you can see by these long threads lots of suggestions offered, lots of things tried but no smoking gun.  My theory is that is it some piece of software that is causing a conflict with Bridge, but finding it is difficult.  Things that have caused problems in past that I can remember include connected to network, anit-virus, and add on software to add shortcuts to keyboard.

Some users find releif by just setting up a new account on the computer.  THis starts with a clean slate, and works for many,  but if it is a software conflict will probably not help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 1, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

Still no avail. I even did a reinstall of Mountain Lion. I also can't authorize with application manager; it leads to the liscense entry, which is impossible since I'm a CC.

Did you use a recovery or a clean install?

And when you searched for everything regarding Adobe what did you use to search? Spotlight is refusing to search for hidden files, packages etc. Easy Find from Devon does a far better job in this.

Did you try a new user account for testing.

Have you double checked if it is not happening on one folder or certain files. Sometimes folders got corrupted or do have some hidden files that can cause problems.

I'm also sorry to hear again about this problem, using a MacPro with more then enough specs and SSD I have to say Bridge and PS CC do work very fast.

Criteria build much faster then before but first time opening Bridge needs still a bit of time to get prepared. When I open Bridge and create some extra windows to fast then also the criteria don't build. Close that window, wait 10 seconds and trying again does work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 1, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

OK

just had used send and then saw your answer. Glad you are OK now.

What is FSCKd btw, not heard of it before and did not looked it up in Google

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 1, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

FSCK is when you log into the computer in single user mode (command line)

I'm very basic when it comes to the use of Terminal I'm afraid

Maybe you might take a look at Cocktail:

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail

It is a very cheap maintenance program with great support, life time updates (many) and able to run on auto base with cleaning caches and repairing disk permissions.

Also still take a look at Easy Find, freeware from Devon.

When it comes to difficult task in finding everything this is the one that does it correctly

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to Comon, Adobe

Comon,

Where did you reset the folder permissions? Was this in bridge or in the OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to garek007

This would be in OS.  For a mac check the hard drive details.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Curt Y

but I'm on a PC, just go to the folder and set permissions?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to garek007

also, I downloaded the cleaner tool and I'm wondering if I should remove my Adobe ID Credentials?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to garek007

Perhaps  read you wrong.  Permisssions for folders is an OS thing.  Or are you talking about resetting permission in Bridge?  For that hold down Ctrl and start Bridge.  You will get a reset window.

You having same problem as Comon in that Bridge not working as it freezes up?  If not post in new thread explaining problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to Curt Y

yes same problem... bridge is slow and even clicking on the menus causes it to freeze up for a few seconds. and I tried control but it doesn't say anything about permissions, just preferences, which hasn't worked

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to garek007

screw it, I'm either going to download a plugin to see thumbs in explorer or use picasa. done with bridge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points