Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Pro Exporting Issues

Jun 30, 2013 10:43 PM

Tags: #help #error #memory #issue #x #flash #video #pro #mac #exporting #1080 #fail #animation #professional #corruption #cs6 #hard #quicktime #please #solution #work #.swf #.fla #failing #unknown #1920 #1920x1080 #unreliable

Hello everyone. I recently have been working on a Flash animation. Throughout the making of this animation Flash has been failing, getting "unknown errors," and just plain corrupting some of my files. Now I understand that a 200MB is a rather large animation. But anyway's I have been constantly duplicating my .fla's because of just how unreliable Flash seems to be acting when it comes to this. Finally I decided enough is enough and tried to export it. Heck, I was just going to split the animation into 2 parts if it makes Flash happy and saves my hard work from corruption. I finally found one of the backup files that is moderately new. However upon attempting to export as a QuickTime it reads

"The export failed because the operation ran out of memory."

I have tried everything to get this to work. It should work! And it shouldn't be this difficult. I'm hearing stuff about how Flash apparently fails when it comes to exporting 1920 x 1080. Is this true? In that forum I read somebody said Adobe was working on fixing it. That forum has been up since around last summer. Has anybody found a solution to this issue? I just want what I've worked very hard on to work. Please help.

(P.S. I'm on a Mac, and this is Flash Pro CS6)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

You don't say how much memory you have to work with. Have you shut down everything else that you your computer has running while you are trying to export to video? One of the options in the Quicktime Export Settings window is "Store temp data:". Try the On Disk option.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:34 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

It is possible to export a video from Flash at 1920 X 1080. My first guess is that your Flash movie is just too large at 200 MB. You haven't said how much memory or how much free space you have on your hard drive.

Is it possible for you to segment your Flash movie and export it to video in sections and then put it back together in a video editor?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to ProStupid.

1. Create a new Flash movie with the same stage size, color and frame rate as the movie that you have now.

2. Find a frame in your existing movie where you can make the cut.

3. In the timeline, select that frame in the top layer and then shift-click on the last frame at the lowest layer of the timeline. This will select all of the layers and frames for that part of the movie.

4. While those frames are selected, right click in that selection and choose "Copy Frame" from the menu that pops up.

5. Go to the new, empty movie.

6. Right click on the empty keyframe in frame 1.

7. Choose "Paste Frames" from the menu.

8. Save this new movie.

To be safe, do the same thing for the first half of the original movie. Now you will have the original movie and two "half" movies.

Try and export one of these halves as a video.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to Rob Dillon

So funny to read all this lame workarounds to a broken product....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 2:50 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

Have you tried the 64-bit version of the programm?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

There may be any number of reasons why your movie won't export to video. The error that you get may or may not have anything to do with the problem, it may be an error message of last resort that doesn't actually describe the problem.

You want the video frame rate to be the same as the frame rate of your Flash movie. If the compressor that you choose to use allows automatic keyframing, then use the automatic option. Try setting the Data Rate to a lower value than the default if the compressor that you use chose allows that.

There may be something in your movie that is causing the problem. You might try making a very simple Flash movie and try and export that movie to video.

Is your Flash movie built at 1920 X 1080, or are you changing the size of the movie when you export it? If you are changing the movie's size, try and export the movie at its original size. If it will export at its original size, then you can take that exported video and resize it.

Yes, there are many people on forums that will tell you all about the evils of Flash. There are, indeed, many things that Flash can't do. Since there's no admission test to most forums, I'm guessing that most of the complaints are based on operator error.

There are third party applications that will convert a Flash .swf file to video. I don't know of a free one for Mac. I have no idea how well any of them work. I have never used one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to Rob Dillon

To be honest, i checked about 6-7 third party programms to do the job, just 1 really helped and did the job perfect without loosing frames. To bad its just for PC, i will still post the link to it here, so it may help others: http://www.flash-video-mx.com/flash_to_video_web/

Let's face it, video export was very big anounced in Flash CC, and guess what, again just another broken new feature. I have seen so many new things in flash over the years that really are not worth a notice. Most things are not operator errors, most things are bad programming and the lack of taking customers response serious.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

My recommendation is to bypass the QT movie export completely and use one of these effective workarounds. If you were to get an export to succeed, you'd find that the framerate is completely whacked and you can't use it effectively in any non-linear editing environment. QuickTime is not a stable export movie format ever since Adobe bought Flash. I'm an animation filmmaker, and this is a workaround that I and my professional friends use:

OPTION 1:

1) export an image sequence using the PNG format, no compression, best quality. Give yourself a short frame name with an underscore after it, like "myfile_.png"

2) take the sequence of PNGs and do either one of these options:

a - use QuickTime Pro to import image sequence. Open your audio file with QT, it createsit's own file, then copy it, and then use QT manager to add it in to your video file. EXPORT a new QT using PNG compression (or other). Close/do not save this initial compiled edit. Your exported fil is the final and useable one, and is frame stable. Done.

b - import your PNG sequence into any non-linear editor, having set it's internal preferences to import stills so they last only 1 frame each. Most, like FCP or Premiere, you can also import as a media sequence or "footage" but that pre-applies a supposed FPS rate when imported. Again, you can now compile a video/audio edit and then export.

OPTION 2:

1) use SWIVEL, a free app that converts SWF files into movies, including QuickTime.

2) publish an SWF without any compression/jpg high quality /audio included

3) import into Swivel.

4) set video qualities. Codec should be QuickTime ANIMATION

5) set audio qualities

6) Export, done.

Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

I understand that programms are complex and they have their downsides, but actively destroy a progamm and never really fix the silly bugs is what we see nowadays.... sad but true.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to ProStupid.

Well to be honest, CS6 is much better than CS5 was, but the crappy Video-Export is something that is seen in any Flash-Version.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to ProStupid.

hi ProS - 

if you don't have QT Pro, then you can't do this import/export method that I describe. I recommend using the Swivel method, and you can find it by doing a search, and download it online.

A non-linear editor is basically any digital video editing software, like iMovie, Final Cut Pro, or Premiere. It's called this because you can move back and forth  on the timeline as you edit. This name came about as a response to the old tape-editing days, when you could only edit in one direction - forward, as you put one shot directly after another.

As far as you having PNGs explode all over your desktop - wellll.... you should have saved them to a folder. PNGs are the highest quality you can wrk with, so if you're able to be happy with JPG quality, then you could use that instead. But like I said, just use Swivel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

well, that's great to hear that everything is good and you're happy with the results. You might let the creators of the app know that you love it, too!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 22, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

hey PS - that was really well done! Thanks for sharing, and I'm so glad to know that you've been able to bring it all the way to the finish line. Good luck with getting it out there into the world of animation-consuming people!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2014 10:42 AM   in reply to ProStupid.

This is ridiculous. I have a simple 30sec animation (37kb .fla file!). Tweens are the only things going on and yet I run out of memory when attempting to export to Quicktime. It is 360 frames. I'm running it on an iMac with maxxed out memory.

http://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/creator-resources/flash-resources/swive l

Swivel converted the .SWF I made into an .mp4. Hopefully my vendor can use that.

Also tried the FlashCC version and it looks like that is working.

Question: Why have a professional version of Flash at all?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points