Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AVI files delete video component

Jun 30, 2013 11:59 PM

Hi... New problem. Pretty significant as it brings my current project to a stand still. I capture video files of my screen with "Debut". It is a trial version but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I get great video clips from it, one of which is attached. They are AVI files. When I import to Elements there is no video component, just the audio. It makes them an audio file in Elements.... Hmmm....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to garymanilow

AVIs can be composed of any of thousands of codecs, only a few of which are compatible with video editors.

It appears you are using Debut to create these AVI files, which is likely at the root of the problem. However, it's not clear if you're recording video from onscreen or capturing miniDV video over a FireWire connection or what. Regardless, it's likely saving your AVIs in a proprietary codec rather than the standard DV format -- which is pretty typical of programs that record your screen or capture video over a USB connection.

Open one of your AVI files in G Spot Video Codec or MediaInfo and post here the audio and video codec, resolution and frame rate listed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to garymanilow

Some links to go along with what Steve said about posting file detals

A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

While you are waiting for the others to get back to you. I have something that I would like you to try.

Take one of these AVCHD (MPEG4 AV/H.264).avi files and rename just the file extension portion of the file name.

So that the just file extension changes in the file name, going from .avi to .m2t, .m2ts, .mp4, or .mov.

And, please let us know if any of those files are less problematic.

I have a dusty recollection of someone posting here recently about problems with Premiere Elements and H.264.avi. I will see if I can find it, unless someone gets to it first.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to garymanilow

H.264 will not work inside an AVI wrapper http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854115

-Says VLC will convert in #6 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1172956

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to garymanilow

It reads the codec and other specs of the video. It does not change the video in any way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

I see that you have gotten recent input from John T. Smith and SG.

Could you give a try at right clicking your video before import, selecting rename, and then changing just the file extension of the file, such as,

garymanilow.avi to garymanilow.mp4?

It may or may not work, but it is a quick and easy thing to rule in or out to try to avoid file conversion.

Then import the file into Premiere Elements to find out if it is a OK or a dud.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to garymanilow

What I would test, would be to Copy one of those AVI files to a separate folder, and then, as ATR suggests, just change the .AVI to .MP4 in Windows Explorer. Import that file into PrE, and test.

Good luck, and hope that the change in format will fix things for you.

If it does, and you have a lot of those, you might want to look into a program, like SuperExplorer (many others), that will allow you to batch Rename the file, by only changing the file extension.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Not to worry.

What is the whole name of one of these .avi files?

Let us assume it is garymanilow.avi.

You can right click the file wherever it is, select Copy, and then go to the computer desktop, right click the desktop and select Paste.

Now you have the copy of garymanilow.avi on the desktop.

Right click that desktop garymanilow.avi file, select Rename, and, when the file name field opens, retype the whole file name to read garymanilow.mp4.(if you can manage to retype just the .mp4 part, that is fine also).

Open Premiere Elements with the project preset that you have been using, Add Media/Files and Folders, navigate to the desktop and bring in the garymanilow.mp4 from there to Project Assets. The moment of truth...will it import?

We will await the verdict.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

If you are having problems getting out the .avi part,

Right click the file, select rename, and hit delete to delete the whole name of the file - not the whole file, just the existing file name. Then when the Rename field is blank and active, type in garymanilow.mp4.

Does that work OK for you?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to garymanilow

In Windows Explorer, if you have set Folder Options to Show File Extensions, then when you Dbl-click on the file name, it will come up in the Rename mode with the full name highlighted. Move the Cursor to just the file's extension, after the DOT. Highlight just "AVI," and type in "MP4." You might get a message along the lines of "If you change the file's extension, it might not work in the intended programs." Do not worry about that, and click out of that. I think that it will be OK. Lood to see if it is now 15.MP4, with no mention of AVI. Test that file.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Good try.

If you have the time, you could try the same thing with .m2t or .mov instead of the .mp4. But by biggest hopes were with the .mp4.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to garymanilow

>So what's next?

Go back to #7 where I posted links

I suspect the 1st link I posted is beyond your skills... so read the 2nd link

Also, any time you need help with Windows commands (like renaming a file) search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Please check out the following for the VLC Media Player download

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

A while back I looked at one of its version for conversion and was ready to throw it out the door. Hopefully the latest version will be helpful.

So, we will be watching for your progress to guide us.

The VLC player is a favorite for video playback of all kinds. Conversion part????

You wrote

[I downloaded the 'convertavitomp4' program and it worked. I have the video in the timeline, slightly blurry of course. Do you think chaging the wrapper would produce better quality or not?]

At this point, not sure what that conversion program is, but check your project preset choice and make sure that you render the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible view of the Timeline content...you could also just press the Render button above the Timeline. But if you have no colored line or a green line over the Timeline content, no rendering of the Timeline is possible. The rendering is to get the best possible preview of the Timeline AND non colored line or green line over the content means you already have the best possible preview.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to garymanilow

garymanilow

Just took a quick look at your choice of video converter...looks impressive. Major thought is that is seems to talk in terms of file extensions, like .mp4, .mov, etc and not the video compression. File includes video compression and audio compression and its wrapper in a format described by the file extension (like .mp4).

The combo ot the video compression and audio compression with different wrappers (file extensions) can make a big difference in your video editing experiences.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points