Skip navigation
kenlindsay58
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge cannot read cache scared to purge

Jun 30, 2013 11:32 PM

I have adobe photoshop CS5 and getting a warning that the Bridge encountered a problem and is unable to read the cache. It wants me to purge the cache but I do not want to lose my thumbnails. I have 350Gb of images - on the computer & backup drive. I need to see the thumbnails. But I have only 45Gb of a 500Gb HDD left.

What are my options in clearing the cache - without compromising thumbnails and meta data. The software is running very slowing and I am concerned as I will only increase my quantity of images.

Please help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 30, 2013 11:46 PM   in reply to kenlindsay58

You have less than 10% of available space on that hard drive.  It's time to retire it. ASAP.

Back it up and get a new drive, saving two backups of your image files in the process.

Metadata should be preserved and new thumbnails will be generated when you purge the cache, but it can be a time consuming process.

Is that drive also your boot drive?  If it is, then you're in a heap of trouble already.  A measly 45 GB is not much to be shared by Photoshop's scratch file and the swap files of the OS, let alone to accommodate the cache.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 12:28 AM   in reply to kenlindsay58

The thumbnails will be re-generated, that's not an issue.  It's only a matter of patience.  Just let it rebuild overnight—or longer if necessary.

On the other hand, see what happens once you free up space.  The application may be able to function normally after that without nagging you to purge the cache.

In any event, I prefer to use the Purge Cache For This Folder command in the Tools menu of Bridge, rather than using the global Purge Cache command in Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to kenlindsay58

Having a dedicated, physically separate hard drive just for Photoshop scratch will improve Photoshop performance considerably. 

I personally keep a dedicated, physically separate 160 GB to 300 GB internal hard drive as Photoshop scratch disk.  Figure on 50 to 100 times or more the size of your largest open file multiplied by however many files you keep open at the same time.

Bridge is the Achilles heel of the Photoshop application and, alas, the stepchild among Adobe's suite of applications.  It doesn't get nearly the attention and resources it needs.

You may want to take a look at the dedicated Adobe Bridge forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/bridge?view=discussions

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points