Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't edit PDF text, even though the Adobe font is installed on the Mac

Jul 1, 2013 8:03 AM

I've tried to edit a very small amount of text in a PDF created with InDesign 4, but although I can select the text, it won't let me edit it because Acrobat 10.1.4 claims the font isn't available. But it is available, because it's included with one or more Adobe applications that are installed on the Mac I used to create the original.

What gives, and how can I gain the ability to edit that text, without having to change the font in the original?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2013 9:13 AM   in reply to Nutriamix

Are you sure it is the same font and not a similarly named font? Why not edit the origianl ID file and regenerate?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Nutriamix

Not that this step will help, but have you checked the font listing in the Document properties? It might give you a hint about the fonts usage that may lead to a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Nutriamix

Well, if you're so smart you don't need to check what is used in the document, I guess we can't help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Nutriamix

Not necessarily. Acrobat sometimes add fonts you did use in the document.

You might Helvetica or Arial  and you check and all of a sudden there is Times ot Monaco  or something you never used. Acrobar does that all the time  sometimes throwing in one, two or three fonts you never used. When Creating a PDF I always remove all but one copy of each font I actually used and ditch the rest.  Acrobat has always done this sinve version 3.x.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to Nutriamix

I understand your statement, but did you check the font list. It may be that you need to be sure the entire fonts are embedded or such to be able to edit. I am not always sure just what the program may require for the edits. Also, select the text you want to edit and check the properties of that text to see what font is being used. All I can suggest is what I would try, not making assumptions about what Acrobat might do just because the fonts are on my system.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points