Skip navigation
AFUNEVT
Currently Being Moderated

PDF file creation drops out

Jul 1, 2013 8:18 AM

Creating a PDF file from a large document (230 pages, over 1000 images) in InDesign 5. Goes fine till about 93% finished then drops out without an error message. Help please.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

Can you export it as two 115 page files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

Export page 1-115 and see if that works ok

Then export page 116 to 230 see if that's ok

If it works then you can combine both in acrobat.

If it doesn't work - you can continue halving the book on export until you find the problematic page(s).

Export 1-70 then 71-115

Then 116-170 and then 171-230

See what section produces the crash - track down the page.

Once you've tracked down the page you can move half the objects to the Pasteboard

Export again

If it crashes then move the items back in place and move the other half off the page.

Narrow down which item is causing the problem.

Once you have narrowed it down - the recreate the item in question - don't copy and paste it, but redo it from scratch - i.e., use File Place and place a new photograph into a new image frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to AFUNEVT

There are a number of issues that can cause the failure you experienced.

One is obviously some type of dodgy content. Peter and Eugene have given you pointers to how to track such an issue down.

However, it is possible that at least with the 32-bit versions of InDesign (CS6 and earlier), you are simply running out of address space for InDesign and its core technology components to complete the PDF export. I have personally experienced this problem with long and complex documents. (This has nothing to do with how much actual memory you have installed!) The workaround I found for exporting PDF from such long and/or complex documents is that after I am done editing, I save the file and close InDesign. I then restart InDesign and open the document. I immediately invoke the export function and don't attempt any other operations before the export finishes! Do not page through the document. That uses up valuable address space and memory used by internal components.

If that doesn't work, ascertain that you have enough work space on your disk. PDF export can use significant amounts of temp space. (Under Windows, make sure the disk volume that has the TEMP directory has plenty of spare capacity!)

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

I too have found this to be true on occassions.

Sometimes I will reboot my computer (not sure if it helps?) and restart InDesign and immediately export/print the document.

It works sometimes too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 4:04 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

In theory (famous last words), simply restarting InDesign and not transversing the document should suffice. Memory usage and memory leaks within an application don't require reboots either in MacOS or Windows.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 1:25 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

I wouldn't recommend any 3rd party PDF readers/editors simply because I don't think they can read all of the modules associated with PDFs that acrobat constructs.

Did you find a problematic page with the ways I've decscribed to find the problem - I even went on to write a FAQ for the forum for this type of problem.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5466878#5466878

Peter Spier wrote another tip to fixing problematic files.

You really do need to track down "why" it's crashing and on what page and what object on the page(s) to fix the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 1:28 AM   in reply to Dov Isaacs

I've had moments where simply restarting InDesign didn't fix the problem at all. Rebooting seems to help  on occassion. However, they're ususally my first port of calls when a PDF won't export or a file won't Print, Restart InDesign and if that doesn't work - then Reboot - before I go trampling over IDML or pulling the document apart.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

If you're still needing help combining the two files, send me a Private Message (click my name to go to my profile) and I'll see waht I can do to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

The thing is there is something inherently wrong with your file that it won't make the whole PDF. That's not normal behaviour.

Can I suggest that you try to export pages

1-200

then

1-210

1-220

1-230

If it fails with any of them, for example fails on 1-210

Then can you try 1-209, 1-208 etc.

I urge you to find the fault before the file becomes unusable due to some sort of weird corruption.

Note: I doubt it will but it can happen

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to AFUNEVT

Two hours to export is a LONG time, but you did say 1000 images, and if they're all that big, well...

You could just export the problem pages and swap them, IF you had acrobat....

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to AFUNEVT

Wow, your book is amazing! Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

Having said that, with all that imagery, it is definitely complex, especially with the edge-to-edge pattern background on each page and a number of drop shadows throughout.

I don't think you mentioned this yet in this thread, but exactly what export options (.joboptions) did you use for the PDF export? Given the document's complexity, if you used any joboption that required color conversions and/or transparency flattening, you are setting yourself up for possible resource problems. If you haven't tried this already, try export the PDF using the PDF/X-4 settings as-is immediately after opening the InDesign document. Let us know if that more reliably creates your PDF file.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

Yeh the book looks amazing.

Can I ask how you put the background image on the pages? Did you place that on each page or did you use master pages?

Is there any way you could package the file and also include an IDML from File>Export or File>Save As along with the files?

You can zip them - and I can PM you my email address. Be interested to take a look at how it was put together, and maybe give you some pointers to help you overcome the issues you're experiencing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

I wouldn't zip or email them - there's online file transfer sites like "we transfer" and there's options like Dropbox, Skydrive, and other cloud based services - and if you're on Adobe CC you should have been allocated Cloud storage space.

In regards to your book - it's very nice but I think the file size is huge.

I think it's well worth taking it to an InDesign expert and having it reshaped into an InDesign Book format.

That will give you a Panel in Indesign with the file broken down into individual files, which will act as chapters.

This gives you greater flexibility in terms of the size of the file - and exporting single chapters at a time rather than the whole book. But you can still export the entire book.

The InDesign book feature is very powerful and worth learning but it's a bit of a learning curve.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

In regards to InDesign Book feature, perhaps there's an InDesign expert within your area you could hire to teach you how to use the Book Feature and offer support for you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to AFUNEVT

With the Creative Cloud you can pay a monthly subscription and stop whenever you like.

I understand the pain of the money invovled, I too pay an increased price because I am not in America.

However, I think if you learned the Book feature well enough you could try break your document into logical chapters - then add them to the Book file.

There's lots of online tutorials.

This I think will help reduce your problems you're having.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Exporting individual chapters isn't really going to solve the problem without some way to combine those chapters again, i.e Acrobat Pro. Once you get your connection back it might be worth considering either buying a perpetual license or a single app month-to-month subscription (not sure Acrobat is availble as a single app, though, so you'd need to check). Adobe no longer does disks, so you need to download to install them. You might find a copy of Acrobat on disk still, too, at a local supplier.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 6:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Sorry - of course the individual chapters is no use and needs Acrobat to recombine - it was more of an introduction to the Book panel and what it can do.

I think for complex documents breaking it up into individual chapters could be very useful and let it export correctly.

In saying that - if the OP wants to try File>New Book and drag his file into it (no need to do anything else)

Then use the Book Panel sub menu (top right) and Export Book as PDF.

This might do the trick? Worth a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Actually  I don't think you'd see any difference at all exporting the same content from a single file or broken down into chapters and exported as a single unit from the Book panel. Dov might know more.

The big advantage to the Book is the compartmentalization and the reduction in lag with redrawing and scrolling times that you'd get from smaller files, along with the safety factor that losing one chapter is just that, one chapter, rather than the whole book in the even of a file disaster. That said, even 300 pages isn't so terribly big for a single file, and if you use cross-references with ID's built-in cross-ref module you should avoid using Books lke the plague if you need refences that would be inter-document when broken apart.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Good points.

But I know that the Export in Background Tasks crashing or lags have been resolved by exporting from a book.

I do publications with 1000's of pages and there's a significant difference for us when we export the 1000's of pages through a broken down chapter by chapter Indesign book - than exporting the entire book from a single file.

Just think it's worth trying putting the whole thing in the Book panel and bypass teh Background task and see if it exports properly from the Book Panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

OK, that's a valid point. The book is a foreground export task where the single file is in the background. Even adding the single file to a Book would move it to the background, though. so you don't NEED to divide it to get that advantage (if tying up ID while it exports is an advantage). I haven't seen a file hang on export as a background task in quite some time, though.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points