Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Import All Pages of Word Doc

Jul 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I gotta a nagging problem here, which may not actually be on ID's end. I'm using File>Place, hold Shift and click to import my Word doc into ID, but can't import past page 25. The Word doc has at least 100 pages. Any idea why this would happen? Needless to say, very frustrated.

As always with you awesone folks, any help is greatly appreciated!

-Andy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 1, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to Andymc7

Does the last frame show overset?

And the number of pages in the word file has little to do withthe number of pages in ID, though that much difference does seem like something is missing.

And what version of ID, and which OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 1, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to Andymc7

@Andy – if there is overset, just show us the overset text in the story editor ( cmd or strg + y ) with "Show Hidden Characters". Just select a few characters in the overset and let us see the panels for Characters, Paragraphs, Character Styles and Paragraph Styles like the following screen shot:

(in case you wonder, I'm on OSX 10.6.8 German)

OversetTextFrame.png

It could be anything from:

1. Text formatting
    2. Placed images in MS Word file

3. Special Characters
    4. …

All together…

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Andymc7

Don't know where you heard that about .docx - it's just a glorified zip file and imports just fine into inDesign.

http://indesignsecrets.com/get-the-full-picture-with-docx.php

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to Andymc7

OK, the overset is a table, and I bet the first row has a cell height greater than the page height. ID can't break a row, only between rows.

Try picking up the overset and drag out a really tall frame on the pasteboard as you click the loaded cursor to see if you can get the table to flow into it, then you can do some editing more easily.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to Andymc7

OK, so you need to reduce the size of the image (did it come through in the RTF?) so the row height is smaller. That should work up to the next row that is too tall.

It might actually make sense to edit this in Word to fix any table rows that look like they're going to be an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I'd convert the tables to text in Word first - they're going to have be redone in InDeisgn anway - might as well start from scratch on them - I usually do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Andymc7

Yes the image came through as expected in the .rtf, but the "fake" or faux italic and bold fonts from the word doc comes in as ya know, the little squares, which is frustrating in it's own right, because I didn't mention I'm dealing with Mandarin characters, and it's quite difficult to find which is supposed to be bold and/or italic.

Have you turned on a Chinese keyboard in Windows? If you have, then when you whack control+d in Word, the font dropdown will have a separate entry for "Asian text font." This would let you make Word styles that would preserve bold when they come into InDesign.

There's pretty much no way to preserve italics, though. Since Chinese fonts generally don't have italic or oblique sets, Word fakes italics by skewing the glyphs. From a typographical standpoint, it looks far worse than the same fake-oblique you'd get by adding a twelve-degree skew to Minion Pro in InDesign. You may want to look into a different method of adding emphasis. (Or you may just want to fake the oblique with a skew in InDesign because it's what your client provided to you. I like to go to bat with my clients in defense of good typography, but that's not your responsibility, to help preserve the world's oldest & richest calligraphic tradition.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points