• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to maintain two sets of separate auto numbered tables?

Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Here is what I'm trying to do with FrameMaker and find impossible to do:

I have to maintain two sets of different tables each starts with number 1 inside the table. So I created two paragraph tags with 'Auto Number' checked and applied to the two different tables. But the result is not what I want: the number inside one table continues from the other one, instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, ... and 1, 2, 3, 4... It is 1, 2, 3, 4...

Am I doing anything wrong here? Must be, for it doesn not work.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're not doing anything wrong, just perhaps missing some of the details. FM autonumbering is a joy to work with once you've got the hang of it, and/but different from most other approaches. (and by "different", I don't just mean flexible and reliable)

Broadly speaking, I'd say you have two options:

1. define two styles for the numbering you use inside tables, let's say TableNumberStart and TableNumberContinue. Define autonumbering so that TableNumberStart uses <n=1> and TableNumberContinue uses <n+1>
    This works because you've made the extra effort yourself.
  2. use one style – let's say TableAnchor – to anchor each table, and another style – let's say TableNumber – for the numbering you use inside tables. Define autonumbering so that TableAnchor uses < =0>, and TableNumber uses <n+1>.
    This works because you've asked FM to make the effort for you :-} TableAnchor resets the counter to zero, and TableNumber increments it as required. Note: in the definition < =0> the space before the equals sign is essential. It keeps the counter from displaying on the page.

While you're experimenting, read up on Series labels – so you can manage separate numbering for, say, tables and figures. And on Building blocks – I was so impressed the first time I managed to use numbered heading styles to reset numbering in a list …

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines