Skip navigation
FM-new-user
Currently Being Moderated

How to maintain two sets of separate auto numbered tables?

Jul 1, 2013 5:46 PM

Hi everyone,

Here is what I'm trying to do with FrameMaker and find impossible to do:

I have to maintain two sets of different tables each starts with number 1 inside the table. So I created two paragraph tags with 'Auto Number' checked and applied to the two different tables. But the result is not what I want: the number inside one table continues from the other one, instead of 1, 2, 3, 4, ... and 1, 2, 3, 4... It is 1, 2, 3, 4...

Am I doing anything wrong here? Must be, for it doesn not work.

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 12:02 AM   in reply to FM-new-user

You're not doing anything wrong, just perhaps missing some of the details. FM autonumbering is a joy to work with once you've got the hang of it, and/but different from most other approaches. (and by "different", I don't just mean flexible and reliable)

Broadly speaking, I'd say you have two options:

1. define two styles for the numbering you use inside tables, let's say TableNumberStart and TableNumberContinue. Define autonumbering so that TableNumberStart uses <n=1> and TableNumberContinue uses <n+1>
      This works because you've made the extra effort yourself.
    2. use one style – let's say TableAnchor – to anchor each table, and another style – let's say TableNumber – for the numbering you use inside tables. Define autonumbering so that TableAnchor uses < =0>, and TableNumber uses <n+1>.
      This works because you've asked FM to make the effort for you :-} TableAnchor resets the counter to zero, and TableNumber increments it as required. Note: in the definition < =0> the space before the equals sign is essential. It keeps the counter from displaying on the page.

While you're experimenting, read up on Series labels – so you can manage separate numbering for, say, tables and figures. And on Building blocks – I was so impressed the first time I managed to use numbered heading styles to reset numbering in a list …

HTH

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points