Skip navigation
booksta
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Distiller butchering this rasterization?

Jul 1, 2013 8:23 PM

I have a 300dpi PNG in a Word 2003 Doc.  I print to Adobe PDF using Press Quality -- 2400dpi, "Convert smooth lines to curves", and no image compression.  I've zoomed in on part of the image as rendered in Word, and the same part as rendered in Acrobat after printing, at which point it looks awful.  What can I do to preserve the image quality?

In Word:

PNG_in_Word.png

And in Acrobat:

PNLG_Distilled.png

Don't know if it's relevant, but image source is a PNG from AI with transparent background and gradient set in Word.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to booksta

Do you have smoothing set in the Display preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to booksta

Try the Create Acrobat PDF button too, especially if you have a very recent Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to booksta

There won't be any optimizations for transparent images in that ancient version of Acrobat, I'm afraid. I don't know what's in the current version, but there are suggestions that something can help.

When you print to Adobe PDF, Word must flatten all of the transparency, so this is happening before Distiller sees it. You might get a nicer result if you set a matte colour of a mid-blue. But, come to think of it, a PNG is a strange choice when you can use an EPS.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to booksta

If it's an image in EPS form this is bound to happen. Because you were using Illustrator I assumed this was a vector design. If it is an image, trace it in Illustrator to eliminate all bitmaps, and try EPS. Better still, combine with the background (still no images) in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to booksta

PNG is not a vector format, but a bitmap. Illustrator creates vector formats by default and that is how you should try to use it in WORD. One way is just to clipboard it from Illustrator to WORD (use paste special and select Windows Metafile. Another way is to export as an EMF file and import the graphic to WORD. You can also use the EPS (or maybe AI or SVG in newer versions of WORD) and import the picture.

I did this transformation with EPS and saw no rastering at 6400% zoom. It is a vector plot. The other forms gave some problems and were not as smooth.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points