Skip navigation
DeafBoyzAudio
Currently Being Moderated

Self managing a server

Jul 1, 2013 10:45 PM

Tags: #server #linux #centos #server_configuration

Hello,

SO im getting my first self managed server, trying to save some money...   Now i have the server setup and needed stuff installed.  But how do i KEEP it running smooth and virus free?

I heard there were some companies like dome9 and cloud flare that provide server monitoring for a small monthly fee.... 

To tell you the truth im kind of a linux server noob and dont know what i should install to keep everything in tip top shape.

im using centos 6.3 and have cpanel.  I can install anything i like.

I have heard that clam av is good, but looks like its just for email.  also mod security and maybe malware bytes?

So what programs should i install to make sure my server is running efficient and secure?  anyone knoe of a company that can manage it for you for a reasonable price???

thanks!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

Despite what many think, this is a Dreamweaver user forum and we'll gladly help if you have problems with DW. Other problems are best directed at relevant forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

One thing we do discuss here is what hosting providers provide good service (in our opinions). I don't think anyone here likes GoDaddy.

But server setup is probably Off Topic here. And I, personally am using a VPS host on a commercial server. I don't think anyone here in this forum particularly knows much about server set-up because everyone I have had conversations with use the commercial companies.

Frankly, from my point of view, someone offering a failover VPS service would probably be the best. the company I'm with (inmotion hosting) doesn't offer that (and I am asking). They do offer backup/restore.

If you're setting up your own server, I think a Linux forum would probably be the right place (Adobe doesn't host one). A simple Google search would probably result in a bunch of options. This isn't because it's inappropriate to discuss things, it is because nobody here is doing their own server. The best response you could possibly get here is, "Huh?"

I wish you luck setting things up. If I were you, I'd look to trying to set up a failover system and automated backups. I would also look at colocation, where you have a wide separation between your two hosts. I know of one mortgage bank that was absolutely incapable of processing any loans in the wake of Hurricane Sandy because all of their systems were located in New Jersey. This is not to recommend states other than New Jersey but rather to suggest you look at locations for your hosts that are so widely separated as to cause you success, were a large area of the United States to suffer a massive power outage or flooding from a hurricane.

It is unlikely that we'd have a major hurricane at exactly the same time all of California sunk into the Pacific Ocean due to The Big Earthquake they're all waiting for, so a bi-costal colocation might be worthy of consideration.

Furthermore, a RAID 5 striped array on the two servers would be a good idea as well, with backups from one server to another. That would probably give you uptimes in the 95+% range.

As to how to do that—that's a question for another type of forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

IMO managing your own server is  penny wise and pound foolish.   But since you're committed to this, you'll need Secure Live.
    https://www.securelive.com/

Good luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio

Nancy thinks it's foolish because she is a web designer who is paying attention to what makes her the most money. And the division of labor between a designer and a webhost manager is a good one because the things they need to know are pretty different.

If you're fixing your own car, that's time that is taken away from other things. You may be really good at being a mechanic but you'll never be as fast and never know as much as a decent journeyman mechanic. So, fixing your own car may be penny wise, pound foolish, because you'll be buying all of this equipment to fix your car when paying for a mechanic's labor will be a lot cheaper.

You're proposing purchasing a computer, then you're proposing hosting video with it. That means you're going to need a wide pipeline and a very capable (workstation class) server. That wheel has all ready been invented. You're proposing to buy your own and manage it yourself. And build websites.

While you'll certainly learn a lot (just as fixing your own car will teach you a lot) you'll be spending time and money that are peripheral to your website.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to DeafBoyzAudio
    • Security.
    • Remote location redundancies.
    • Data backups.
    • Regular system scans.
    • Regularly scheduled software updates. 
    • Unscheduled software updates,
    • etc... 

Who are you going to turn to if your server suddenly goes down or is critically compromised due to an act of God or malicious hacker? 

From my perspective, the pennies saved in self-maintenance are outweighed by the money I can earn doing other things.   Your mileage may vary...

Best of luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points