Skip navigation
opteck
Currently Being Moderated

pdf hyperlink does not work with windows 8 default pdf reader

Jul 2, 2013 1:15 AM

Hi

I have created  and  exported a pdf file containing text and links with indesign cs6
now the links function whene i open the file with adobe reader or google chrome

But whene i open it with windows 8 default pdf reader, the links act like regular text. (not clickable)

how can i make pdf hyper link  work with windows 8 default pdf reader?

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 2:03 AM   in reply to opteck

I suggest you go to the Windows 8 forum to find that out.

3rd Party PDF readers like Windows 8 PDF reader, Mac Preview, Chromes PDF reader and Firefox PDF reader are not capable of displaying PDfs accurately.

It's always recommended to use Acrobat Reader.

Best to ditch any 3rd Party PDF reader - from what I recall Windows attempt at a PDF reader wasn't very good at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 2:56 AM   in reply to opteck

Unfortunately - you can't dictate what software other people will use to open your files.

The only suggestion I have is to make a note beside the Download of the file that it's best viewed in Acrobat Reader or Professional.

Acrobat Reader is free.

Firefox PDF reader is pittance too - my PDFs show up with "black" where it should be "white" - I had to turn off their inbuilt PDF reader and tell the Application to use Acrobat. You can find instructions online for this.

Other than that - see what the Microsoft forums say about the PDF reader and how to get "things working" as it's clearly a fault in their software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 4:35 AM   in reply to opteck

I don't have Windows 8 so I have no idea what the reader is doing, but it sounds to me like you may not have "real" hyperlinks and you're depending on Reader or Chrome to interpret text strings that "look like" a URL as hyperlinks. For wide didtribution where you cannot control the reader software, it's always safest to attach a real hyperlink the the text using the Hyperlinks panel in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to opteck

In that case it might be a good idea to include a message that the PDF is best viewed in the FREE Adobe Reader and include a download link. There's no way you can control what other users are going to see.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points