Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Capture In/Out Points using MXO2 in Premiere CS6

Jul 2, 2013 2:21 AM

Tags: #mac #capture #firewire #cs6 #prores #mxo2 #deck_control #in/out

I've been attempting to capture SD footage from a Sony DSR-45 deck through the component inputs of my Matrox MXO2 LE as Apple ProRes.  I have deck control through the DV/HDV Firewire protocol and the capture window shuttles and plays tape normally, but if I attempt to capture using In/Out points or batch capture a clip, the video plays and the capture window says it is capturing, but goes past the out point without stopping.  If I escape out of the capture manually, the entire clip is lost.

The only way I can capture footage in this environment is to set deck control to "none" and manually punch in and out of the capture, very annoying and time consuming when you have lots of clips spread over many tapes. 

I'm on a Mac Pro running OS 10.7.5 and Premiere Pro 6.0.2 and the latest Matrox drivers with support that configuration. 

Anybody else run into this issue?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to beerstine

I'd first ask why are you doing this?  You won't get anything but larger files going from DV to ProRes through an analog connection.  So why not just capture normally over Firewire?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to beerstine

Ah.

Well, my guess would be that you're trying to do two different things at once, 'capture' via FireWire, which is only really controlling the deck, and capture via the MXO2, which is doing the actual capture, and it just won't work.  You may have to do this manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to beerstine

I can't speak for how it works on Mac, but this method does, or at least did, work on the PC with MXO2, but haven't tried it lately with CS6.

Jim, he is not "capturing" with Firewire - you can certainly control the deck transport via Firewire without capturing at the same time. So you set "Device Control" to 1394, but set the capture input to MXO2. Then you get the 1394/timecode deck control, while capturing with MXO2 inputs. Pretty sweet deal when it works!

Sorry I don't have any Mac troubleshooting experience

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points