Skip navigation
Lucy Granger
Currently Being Moderated

Would Photoshop help improve the look of my video? [was: New to this]

Jul 2, 2013 2:27 PM

Not sure if I already posted this but would photoshop help imporve the look of my video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n94-fqYPHWc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Lucy Granger

Honest opinion: Using Photoshop to edit videos is like using abrasive paper to wash your car. Yeah, sure, you can slap on some adjustments to crunch the contrast and boost colors, but that doesn't take care of many other things like compression artifacts or e.g. masking the sockets in the background. If you're serious about the matter, get a proper video editing app. Even Premiere Elements will already do things you couldn't hope to achieve with PS, not to speak of Aftger Effects and Premiere Pro. If you are on Creative Cloud, this should be a no-brainer....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Lucy Granger

I agree with Mylenium. Premiere Elements would be a better program for the post-production.

As for shooting, I would use a background, as those wall plates/outlets really draw the eye. A nice piece of dark grey, non-glossy fabric, like perhaps a velvet, could be taped over the wall, behind your subject. If possible, move the subject a bit farther from any background.

Do not be afraid of composing the subject more tightly, so that one sees more of them, and less background. Even with a "talking head" shot, you can get much tighter with the framing.

I would also go for a bit more controlled lighting on your subject. Even placing a white card, or sheet to one side, just to fill in the face, would be better. Just keep it out of the coverage of the camera. A piece of foamcore, or Gator-foam, would work well. Angle it to fill that side of the subject's face.

The audio was recorded in a fairly "hard," or "live" environment. If the mic is camera-mounted, think about hanging some soft fabric, in a V, behind the camera and operator. The camera would be in the apex of the V. A few quilts would work fine. That should help remove the slight echo of the room, and "soften" the sound a bit.

Good luck, and hope those ideas help.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points