Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Irony: Bridge doesn't know what to do with .pictclipping file (Mac)

Jul 2, 2013 5:01 AM

Bridge 5.0.2.4 running under Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 does not know to which application to hand a ".pictclipping" file.

This type of file normally opens in the Finder, without launching any other application or utility of any kind.

However, Bridge doesn't even show a preview in The Content panel or in the Preview panel either.  Double clicking on such a file within Bridge's Content panel results in Bridge launching and/or bringing to the front the TextEdit application showing a totally empty window showing the actual name of the file in its title bar but a completely blank window.

Needless to say, it's not possible to establish a file association between this kind of file and the Finder from within Bridge.

Just another example of the lack of attention and resources Adobe has shown toward its stepchild application, Bridge. 

Adobe Photoshop 13.0.5 does not open such files through its Open menu item dialog either, even though it correctly detects them as a .PICT files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to station_two

.PICT is a Macintosh Picture Image File and can be opened in Photoshop.  So it Bridge the association should be CC.  On my Win OS machine with CS6 it says PhotoshopCS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to station_two

So what is the point of the OP?  If a .pictclip file can be opened by Finder then why expect Bridge to open it?  If file is not in File Type Association you can not associate it to anything.  THe Mac OS should associate .pictclip with Finder.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to station_two

Like I have stated above I do not see .pictclip as a known file in Bridge.  If it is not listed then one can not associate any program to it to open it.

A request would have to be made to Adobe to add support for this file type.  And we all know fast that happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to station_two

The only way to see an image contained within a PictClipping in OSX 10.8.4 is in Apple's own Finder App. and it appears that you can't do anything with it once you have "found" it?!

Clicking on it, only opens it in an empty RTF window.

Text in a PictClipping also opens in an RTF window but you can read the contents and Copy it in order to paste into another document..

Images from other than MS Office progams can be drag-copied to the Desktop as JPEGs and MS Office images can always be Copied/Saved As to the location and format of your choice. So I am not sure why anyone would need to make an Image PictClipping anyway?

Bridge does show the presence of all PictClipping files — in any folder including the Desktop.

Double-Clicking on one will immediately open a small Finder .app window floating over the Bridge CC window.

If the Clipping contains text you will be able to see and read  the contents immediately in the floating Finder App window; and Copy the text in order to paste into a TextEdit or other document..

However, Bridge will show only the file icon for any image-containing Clipping; and double-clicking will simply open a blank Finder .app floating window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to station_two

I have seldom used PictClippings myself except for grabbing urls from the address line in my Browser.

To keep longer parts of info on web pages etc., I always simply "Print to PDF" and save the file to a Folder which should rightfully be titled "Pack Rat's Nest".

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points