Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CC crashes on creating new document, or opening existing file

Jul 2, 2013 12:36 PM

Tags: #crash #new_document #cc

Just like the problem in Illustrator CS6 ( http://forums.adobe.com/message/5288811#5288811 )

Launching Illustator CC and then creating a new file (pressing command > N) causes the application to not respond and gives me a beachball. No new document dialog appears, it just freezes right away.

Force quitting, and then trying to launch illustrator by opening an already-created file causes an immediate freeze.

If I manually delete

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 17 Settings/en_US/plugincache.bin

my next launch is fine, but all subsequent launches will have the same issues - so I'll have to manually delete it bin file every time.

I've run the cleaner tool, i've installed a fresh copy of CC.

It seems reasonable to infer that there may be an issue with a particular plugin, but as it's a fresh install there aren't any 3rd party plugins that I'm aware of. Any help would be tremendously appreaciated!

I'm on an Early 2008 Mac Pro running OSX 10.8.4 (12E55)

Processor:  2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory:  14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Graphics:  NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to majmanCS6

Are you using a Wacom tablet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to majmanCS6

Did you update your Wacom drivers? Have you made the hidden Users/<yourname>/Library visible and looked there?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to majmanCS6

Well then have you tried the solution posted in the other thread: to move your home folder to where Illustrator is?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to majmanCS6

I finally got a fix for this after months of having major problems with Illustrator.  Somewhere in my User Preferences or Application support folder there was some sort of preference file causing issues with Illustrator where it would give me the wheel of death for sometimes hours and then work correctly. It mostly happened during saving files, but also happened sometimes while creating new files and other common tasks. I remember seeing the files but unfortunately didn't take note of what it was because I wasn't sure if it was the cause of the issue at the time. But, just uninstalling Adobe products alone (even if remove preferences is checked) doesn't fix the issue.

Here is what I did.

• Uninstalled all adobe products and ticked the "Remove Preferences" checkbox.
    • Manually removed all Adobe preferences, Application support, and cache files from my User Library. (I didn't mess with the primary library folder because when I created a new user and launched Illustrator, it worked fine).
    • Opened up Path Finder or another tool that reveals hidden files and folders and delete all hidden Adobe preferences, application support items, and caches (if any).
    • I did move all my user fonts to my primary library folder, but I don't think that it is neccessary to fix the problem.
    • Reinstalled Adobe products and IT WORKED!!!

Hope this works for others like it did for me, I know how aggrivating this issue is, I experienced it for roughly 6 months and I almost stopped using Illustrator completely because of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to joeltwinengine

I won't necessarily call this a fix if one needs to uninstall & reinstall the application again,including setting up plug-ins and preferences when on a tight schedule and clients are waiting.

Doesn't Adobe have any other solution for an application hang after opening up a (Ai) file also created with CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to creskdesign

it is more than likely a permissions problem in which a directory along the path is preventing the AI from access the file in question more than likely the somewhere along the path to the preference file or the Adobe Illustrator CC Settings folder.

That was the issue in previous versions. Also could be the com.adobe.illustrator.plist file or some such.

What happens is the when opening a file Illustrator has to access these folder or files and if the permissions are not correct it might not be able to do this it will either hang or quit. Same thing when creating a file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Yep, thats what I thought ( and may well be the case ). But, simply running permission repairs doesn't fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Not a classic "Fix", but definitely a fix for my aggrivation and time wasted.  You don't have to get rid of your plugins or brushes or anything like that... You can copy the presets out of User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC Settings folder and your Photoshop plugins folder into another directory before you uninstall, then replace them after reinstall. There is no quick fix for this issue that I have found; I delt with it for months with lots of banging my head against my desk, but am finally satisfied with the fix. Uninstalling and reinstalling took a fraction of the time I wasted force quitting and waiting on the wheel of death. It also fixed a issue where every time I opened Illustrator, 70-80 GB of my hard drive space would suddenly disappear (Im guessing for virtual mem even with 16GB ram installed).

Well worth the 20-30 minute uninstall/reinstall hassle, for me anyways...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to joeltwinengine

I had this same issue just now. Took me about an hour but I made a new doc using a template, and then boom amazing fantastic I can make new docs again. Not a fix but hey it doesnt look like this is a high priority for them anyway.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points