Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Difficulty creating new folder for import - LR5

Jul 2, 2013 1:32 PM

Tags: #problem #import

I'm having a problem creating a new folder for import in LR5. 

When importing, if you are copying images, you choose the folder to import into.  If you want to create a new folder, you can right-click a folder (Windows, not sure what in Mac) and choose "Create New Folder...". 

However, if I create a new folder, it doesn't then show in the folder list in the import dialogue.  I have to exit the import, and click import again before the folder I've just created shows in the list. 

Is that just me?  It used to show up immediately in LR4, but not in LR5. 

Sorry if this is an issue already flagged-up (or if it's just me!)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

Simon,

Could you guide me with the exact location where you are trying to create the new folder.

Is it the Internal HD or and external Hard Disk, Memory Card etc.

Also can you please get me exact workflow you are following so that we can test at our end.

Thanks

Mandhir

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 2, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

I'm pretty sure that I've seen similar reports recently, although in a quick test just now it all worked perfectly normally.

One thing though....wouldn't it be practical to allow Lightroom to create the new folder for you by using the "Into Subfolder" option, i.e. select "D:\Photo Album\2013" as the Destination folder, then select "Organize Into one folder" and check the "Into Subfolder" box and type the name of the desired sub-folder in the entry panel (e.g. Test), then click Import. No need to mess about trying to create the sub-folder first.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

I'm seeing the same problem in LR5 installed on OS X Lion Server. 

I'm using an external 2 TB drive to store my catalogs and images.  This is the exact same drive that I used previously when I used LR 3.6 on Windows VISTA.  I never saw this problem in the VISTA environment wth LR 3.5.

I can confirm that when I right click in the Destination window and choose Create New Folder, Finder opens and a folder is definitely created.  However when I select Choose with this new folder highlighted, the destination window view does not update to reflect the new folder.  As mentioned by CSS Simon, the only way to make that happen is to cancel out of the import and retry. 

It sure looks like a bug to me.  Lightroom is simply not updating that view.

One temporary suggestion might be to create the folder before starting the import process.  That way, if you do selective importing, you'll only have to make your selections once.  I've thought about that each time I run into this problem but I never remember to try it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

LR 5.2

OS X 10.9

Confirmed bug.

Workaround: Cancel the Import and try again--new folder shows up.  Or, create folder in Library and then Import.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to brooksbp

Lightroom has been designed on the expectation that after identifying a parent destination, it will be responsible for making any new subfolders that are to do with the imported set of images.

So it is probably not on the lookout for new subfolders that may appear midway through the process, which it has nothing to do with.

Beside the automatic subfolder making options, there is this feature right inside the Import screen:

Untitled-1.jpg

.. which seems to deliver the desired outcome more quickly and easily IMO.

You just type the new subfolder name into the box I have highlighted.

RP

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 3, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to richardplondon

Just above the yellow circled 'Into Subfolder' is a '+' button.  Adding a new folder via this mechanism should reflect it in the folder higherarchy below.  The user is always right.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 1:48 AM   in reply to brooksbp

I agree that LR certainly should be showing any new folder however it is made - though I don't know what event would trigger that, if the change is made within an OS browser window as the OP has found.

Instructing LR to do things from within its own interface is just smoother, in my experience... meaning, all the OS operations happen out-of-sight. I suppose that way, Adobe only have to test their own code, and issue quite simple and low-level instructions to the OS.

Even in normal circumstances, since version 7, Windows itself is intermittently forgetful about updating file browser windows

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points