Skip navigation
Fred 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Black clips in the Screenline

Jul 2, 2013 8:17 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_9

If black clips appear in the Screenline, what might be their origin and how do I get rid of them?

Thanks,

Fred2013

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 2, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred2013

The answers are in the details, and you have not offered enough to give you a high percentage answer.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

If you are talking Sceneline, that sounds like a version of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 which has a Quick view and Expert view in contrast to the Sceneline view and Timeline view.

Lots of possibilities, including:

1. What I need to know is, if you switch to the Timeline view instead of the Sceneline view, what do you find for Video 1, 2, 3, 4 track contents?

2. Are you dealing with a lot of photos grossly oversized for the project?

But, let us first get the above information and then decide what next to resolve your specific issue with the details that you provide.

Thanks. Looking forward to your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred,

It looks like your response to ATR did not post. This most often happens, when one is accessing the forum via a POP client, or via a cellphone. Often, the poster does not even realize that their text did not show.

If you access the forum via a Web browser, you will likely have the text included.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred2013

We do not respond by email to questions.

You did OK posting your thread. So please give the reply another try by, opening to the Premiere Elements Forum on your web browser, heading for this thread, and clicking the "Reply" button for post #1, writing your message with details requested, and then clicking on the blue Post button at the bottom left of the message that you typed.

Posting email addresses is not really a good idea for many reasons.

Thanks. All ready to help once the requested information arrives as suggested.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred2013

Thanks for trying to work through the communications. But if you could post your post #8, your next post using the same techniques should get us the answers that we need to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

Just click Reply to this message, and type the requested information, followed by clicking on the blue Post button at the bottom of your reply.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred2013

I will leave it up to you. But you are so close to communicating the information needed. You just posted a great post reply to me (post #10). Now, if you can do all that, just repeat whatever you did to get that message to me, but include the details of your issue in it so that we can get you moving forward in your project.

For your convenience and as an example, I am making a screenshot of this post in preparation. Note the blue Post button that you must have hit to send your post #10.

Fred.JPG

Think about it. If you decide not to continue, we wish you success in your project. But, if you decide to continue, we all are here to help you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Hello Fred,

When one views the Adobe Forums via a Web browser, at http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements?view=discussions the Premiere Elements Forum, they will see a Main Page. However, the view of that Main Page can differ by the users' settings. Below the "Ask a Question" query box, are several Tabs: Overview, All Content, Discussions and Reports. My view is set to always show "Discussions." If yours is not set to do that as your default, then just click on the Discussions Tab, and you should see something like this:

Adobe_Forums_Main_Page.png

Scrolled down a bit on that page, this is what I see for your thread:

Adobe_Forums_Fred.png

Now, there can be confusion, as to how one is accessing the Forum. If they have E-mail Subscriptions active, they can be notified when one posts to their thread, or when anyone posts to any thread in that forum, etc. That e-mail is just a notification that there has been activity, and responding to that e-mail, via e-mail, will seldom get the user exactly what they want, or even get them where they expect to be. It is just a signal that some activity (notifications set by user) has taken place.

Though one CAN access the Forum via e-mail/POP client, or various apps on smart devices, I find that it is best to do so via a Web browser, as all functions and operations should be available to them.

Though I have a half-dozen various smart-devices lying about, I always access the Forum via my Web browser, from my laptop, over an Internet connection. That gives me every function.

To reply, there is a Reply button on the Original Post, plus one on each reply, below it. I try to use the one, on the response, where I wish to reply, say to one of ATR's posts, in the thread. However, some users will just Reply to the Original Post, or maybe just to the last post in the thread, though they are trying to reply to a particular response, say one of mine, or the Original Poster. That can get a bit confusing, so I recommend using the Reply button IN the response, to which one really wants to reply.

It can be a bit confusing, and even old-hands can get a bit confused. As most users view the threads in what is called Flattened View Mode, there is no indention, or other visual indicator of to whom they replied (other than a little line of text - "In Response To: " but that is often overlooked. All replies are just listed numerically, and by date/time. There is a Threaded View Mode, but one has to go to their preferences to access that, and then they will see the responses indented, by the exact response, to which the replied - BUT then one does not see the Reply #, which can be very useful, as a thread gets longer. There is not "toggle," so to switch back to Flattened View Mode, the user must go back to their Profile. I have begged for those two Views to be toggled, by a single keystroke, but so far, no go. Barring that, I always try to read the "In Response To: " to see exactly which response, someone is replying. Confusing? Yes, but one gets used to it.

Most of all, good luck, and as I think that ATR still has some unanswered questions, you might look at just adding those answers to a Reply in the Reply Editor screen. If you have gathered that info in say a TXT file, you can Copy from that document, then in the Reply Editor screen, move the Cursor to where you wish that information to appear, and just Paste it there.

Attaching documents is not allowed any more, as some people abused that function. Also, one CAN attach an Image, but there are limitations, such as JPEG, GIF, PNG, and that is done by the little "camera icon" in the Toolbar in the Reply Editor screen. One CAN attach a link to an AV file, BUT that AV file must be hosted somewhere. It is the URL to that hosted AV file, that will cause the AV file to appear in a player.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred,

You are almost there. I used your response to Reply to. I just hit the Reply button (highlighted, and annotated), to get to the Reply Editor screen, that ATR showed.

Adobe_Forum_Reply_Button.png

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred,

While we are waiting for further input from Bill on his detailed posting information that he posted for you, please let me ask this..."What web browser are you using?" ---Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, other?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred

Hunt should be along any minute so that you can review his suggestions on why you feel that you cannot post a reply to the questions asked you regarding your issue.

At this point, I do not see what is stopping you from doing that from the point of view of web browser or access to the Premiere Elements User to User Forum at Adobe.

You have just sent me an excellent reply to my question to you regarding which web browser you are using. Again, Why couldn't you continue in that successful post when writting it to include the the details of your issue? You could have written the answers to the questions asked right after you typed the sentence "It is Firefox". What are we missing in the communications.

Right now we are only asking for a written description of your problem. Is it that you are trying to post screenshots and project.prel or other visual material and are having these communication problems? Please go the "written words" approach for starters.

Does any of the above comments help to resolve the communication's issue on your side?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred,

I have not used FireFox, but instead use Chrome, or IE 7, 8 or 9, to access the Adobe Forums.

I know that FireFox has a bunch of add-ons, but would not think that it would greatly alter the view that one has, of the Forums - there might be enhancements, but I cannot imagine that the overall "look" would be THAT different.

If you can post a screen-cap, of what you see, when you access the Adobe Forums via FireFox, I feel that someone can help a bit better. In later versions of Windows, the Snipper Tool can get you that screen-cap, and in earlier versions, a PrntScr (or similar keyboard designation) can do it for you. On many laptops, one must also use a modifier key, such as the Ctrl+PrntScr, that I use.

Then, that screen-cap will be in the Clipboard, and can be Opened by any number of Image editing programs, from MS Paint, to Adobe Photoshop. This article goes into more detail on a Photoshop/Photoshop Elements workflow: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to Fred 2013

Fred

Thanks for working through the details so that we can start getting out the cause of

If black clips appear in the Screenline, what might be their origin and how do I get rid of them?

1. You wrote that Video 1 has your source media. When you are back in the Sceneline view, which one of the video files that you saw on Video 1 are missing or black in the filmstrip of Sceneline?

2. How many video clips are there are Video 1? Are they all from the same camera or source with the same properties? So, if what are the properties of these videos..duration, file extension, video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate.... But all of that is supplemental to the basic question of "1" above.

3. And to put everything into perspective we should know

a. What version of Premiere Elements that you are using

b. What computer operating system is involved, including 32 or 64 bit

Let us start here and see where the details take us. For now I would stay in the Timeline view until the problem is resolved.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points