Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flex BlazeDS based Poker game

Jul 2, 2013 8:57 PM

Tags: #flex #blazeds #poker

I am working on a Flex Java based poker game where multiple tables need to be created and people are placed on the tables depending on the table availability. I am facing issues adding people from resource pool to the tables. Any one worked on something similar? Any tutorials, examples or code snippets would be helpful.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 8, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

This forums can be quite stale... I would recommend going to more active communities for help, and also trying to ask more specific questions...

You can find very good tutorials and information here :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blazeds+tutorials

(also you might find usless things... but it's worth the shoot)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to migueldiab

ask more specific questions

I think this is the key. "I am facing issues" doesn't really say much.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

If you are looking for trhe official word of an algorithm that describes the problem you are dealing with:

its Queue (or sometimes schedule when you look on reserving places at a certain point in time).

Here is a nice description (tailored to Python, b ut you should have no probloem finding implementations for JAVA/Actionscript):

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

rjoshicool, I stil don't understand what is your specific problem. I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge...

1. Managing Threads for multiple tables. So that I can handle multiple tables and the data they will be broadcasting.

What container are you using? Tomcat? Threads should be no different than how you use threads in Java... There is no "BlazeDS" flavor to it...

2. How to persist thread data in Server

What do you mean by "persist in the server"? You mean into the DB? Again, same as you would do in java, you can use Hibernate, JDBC, plain text or whatever you see fit.

3. Manage User pool so that multiple users can persist in a single table

I guess you can do this by either having a "Game Table"  that would be a single instance for each table and have the blazeds users access it's methods

hope this helps     

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 2:53 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

From your last posting I get the impression that you might be well advised if you first dig into the basics of database management before you try to solve the high-level probems you are facing.

No offense, but sentences like"Each game has multiple Poker Tables. These tables are also maintained in the DB" give the impression that you have a seperate database table for every poker table in your game (it is quite confusing to seperate the meaning of your words as you keep using "table" in this ambivalent manner, try to stay away from such fallacies).

If you really setup different tables then read up on "Normalization" and why having double-entries is a death-sentence for every database.

also read up: Views, Primary Keys and what their role in DB Managament is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:13 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

1. Yes and no. Tomcat will handle threads for you. Each request will most likely be allocated to a thread.

2. No, you don't need to have those in sync. More specially if you are going to use a cache layer.

I don't really now about SmartFox sorry

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

1. As long as you have your data, you can keep it as you wish. Your MER should be done by someone with DB knowledge and Normalization in minda as moccamaximum said.

2. I think this is wrong. Each game having multiple "physical tables" makes no sense, nor does each game having multiple "database tables"

3. Ok...

4. Ok...

5. Probably not.. most likely you will have the session already before that.

6. Ok

7. Again, I would not rely for this on the DB but try to have a game engine.

8. Ok

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to migueldiab

Rjoshicool, I think people are misinterpreting your explanation (simply because of the crossover of terminology) and you are on the right track.

If I understand it correctly:

You have a multiple number of poker Games. These are Tournaments rather than individual games.

Each tournament has multiple poker tables associated with it and multiple players on each poker table. All players are associated with a tournament, game and table. This association is going to change over time and for the tournament as a whole.

Database tables:

You will need at least

A tournament table, a poker_table table, player table, game_table. You are going to need a load of other tables to hold information about anscillary items perhaps - for example there may be a league, poker_team, etc. I don't know.

In a multiple user system you need to take care of people disconnecting unexpectedly, wanting to get back to a game if accidentally disconnected, wanting to pause play, chat, etc.

Most importantly you must be able to prevent concurrent updates of the database tables since you have multiple players effectively updating the state of a game/table.

It can all get quite complex, quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

I don't play poker. I used to play bridge.

I'm afraid I don't have any examples/pointers/tutorials to offer.

You say you have issues with BlazeDS (which I haven't used), but not specifically what they are, so even BlazeDS users can't really offer any advice to generic, unspecific problems.

It sounds like you have an overal grasp of the problem but are failing in using the technology stack to achieve what you want, so it's more about a a BlazeDS problem, not a poker software one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 12:48 AM   in reply to rjoshicool

If that was my issue I would create a small test system with no game logic at all, using BlazeDS to broadcast status changes from a database table to a load of listeners. I would focus entirely on making that work on it's own. Your project cannot work without that mechanism in place, so ignore the rest, focus on that.

Get that mechanism working outside of the main project, then integrate it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points