Skip navigation
Ranting Lion
Currently Being Moderated

Creating Your First Website Tutorial Files Missing and questions

Jul 3, 2013 6:56 AM

I'm working on this tutorial: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt3.htm l (Using Dreamweaver CC)

I'm near the end of part 3 of this tutorial (the part where you work with the footer) and notice that my page doesn't match the tutorial info. The copyright sign is missing for one (I KNOW I put it in there yesterday, but now it's disappeared.)

I tried to download the sample file first_website pt2_end.zip so that I could compare the source code and see what I messed up, however the file links bring me to 404 pages. http://download.macromedia.com/pub/developer/dreamweaver/creating-your -first-website/first_website%20pt2_end.zip

Since I have no code to compare with, I'll probably start the whole tutorial over again, just so that I can make sure I followed every step correctly. *sigh* But I figured I'd ask here first.

So my issues:

1) any idea what could have made my copyright symbol disappear?

2) In this part:

1. In the Layout section, set the clear property to left. The <footer> moves to the bottom of the page.
  2. Scroll down the Document window as far as possible. You should see a strip of light blue background below the <footer>. This is the same problem as caused by the top margin on the main heading. Browsers apply default top and bottom margins to paragraphs, and the paragraph's bottom margin has combined with the zero bottom margins of the <footer> and wrapper <div>, pushing the wrapper <div> away from the bottom of the page.In the Layout section, set top and bottom padding to 2px. The gap disappears (you'll need to scroll down the Document window again to confirm this).
  3. To align the text in the <footer> with the main <article>, set the left padding to 2

The footer refuses to move from the sidebar area, no matter what I do. In part 2 of the tutorial it told me NOT to give the footer an ID. Is that possibly the problem? When I create a section for the footer do I need to create it as "footer" as opposed to "#footer"? (Will try that - only thought of it just as I was typing this)

Thanks for your help!

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points