Skip navigation
JoeDavisSea
Currently Being Moderated

Strange happenings with my Fonts

Jul 3, 2013 11:07 AM

Tags: ## ##actions ##fonts ##copyright

A real mystery. If I'm creating a batch "text" for a number of files the strangest thing happens. I have to change 10 files all with the same or very close to the same pixel size. In this case 1024Lx . I want to insert a "copyright" text across the image. I create the action, that includes: text, text size of18pts and opacity. and then batch. The resulting font sizes are very unenven. They are all show up in the individual files as  18 pt but some are invisiblley small some are gigantically large and some are just right. And my name's not Goldilocks.

I've tried this on PS3 and PS6 with the same results.

Any suggestions on getting this to work correctly.

Thanks!

Davis

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

What are the images’ resolutions (Image > Image Size)?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

I did not ask for their width but their resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

In the Image Size dialog there is a fied called »Resolution«.

It defines which physical dimensions are intended to result from given pixel dimensions.

That’s what I mean by »resolution« – and I think I am not alone in this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

You seem to be missing the point.

In Photoshop a text of a certain size in pt will differ in pixels size depending on the resolution of the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

Also you never actually bothered to answer my question from post 1.

Edit: Instead of expounding my theory about why something does not function as expected for someone else I often like to inquire about factors I suspect to be the likely trip-ups.

Having their attention directed to those sometimes gives the OPs an opportunity to figure issues out for themselves.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

I believe Cliff's point is that an image of the dimension you say your images are at, has a resolution setting. That resolution setting affects how text at a given point size is displayed in the file. 72 point text in a 96 dpi file is a different size relationally than 72 point text in a 300 dpi file.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

as one changes the file dimensions H/W the "resolution" changes, Example. a 4"x5" image may have a "200dpi"RESOLUTION". If one changes the size to say 8"x10" the RESOULTION changes to 100dpi. However, the file size remains the same as measured in  pixels by Ht x Width. THIS box is just above the one you indicated.

Could you have missed the importance of the »Resample Image« checkbox in the Image Size dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 11:07 PM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

My name is not Cliff.

OP stands for »original poster« here.

As you assigned your own post the correct answer tag the issue has been resolved?

As for pomposity let’s consider your post 6:

Dear Sir,

That’s more formal than necessary for this Forum but polite.

Respectfully, you are correct that there is a "resolution" in the image file and as one changes the file dimensions H/W the "resolution" changes, Example. a 4"x5" image may have a "200dpi"RESOLUTION". If one changes the size to say 8"x10" the RESOULTION changes to 100dpi. However, the file size remains the same as measured in  pixels by Ht x Width. THIS box is just above the one you indicated.

That’s basically a unrelated observation that you do not even seem to fully represent, after all changing the Size will not affect the resolution unless one chooses certain settings.

Regardless, I believe I asked a simple question and provided enuf info for a knowledgable person to answer,

As you never bothered to answer a straightforward question from post 1 the complaint seems curious.

which it seems you are not.

The conclusion regarding my knowledge with regard to Photoshop appears to be based on insufficient data, possibly an assumption that what you do not understand must lack significance.

Also it sounds somewhat like an insult.

And I have not desire to get into a "I'm right; you're right" match here.

How would you argue that you are right when you seem to be less than perfectly willing to even use the proper terminology or provide requested information?

No need to reply.

So you prefer people who have been trying to help not to react to what may well be interpreted as insults?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 6:50 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

@c.pfaffenbichler,

My mistake in using the name, Cliff. OP just used what I wrote.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to MW Design

No problem. (Edit: I meant the name issue is no problem, other problems have arisen in this thread, though.)

If I remember correctly I could not use my full name when I registered my current Adobe ID, therefore the abbreviation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

I'll be signing off this forum.

It would seem regrettable if you were to give up on this Forum because you and me don’t see eye-to-eye on matters of manners and behaviour.

I do not intend to interfere with your possible future threads (provided I remember your screen name) so I encourage you to continue using this Forum.

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,045 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 12, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to JoeDavisSea

JoeDavisSea

Photoshop is a complex program and it takes time to acquire the knowledge to use it well.  While action are easy to record you need some knowledge skill and practice to record an action the will well on any document. 

Dealing with size is not easy in actions. Size can be handled better using Photoshop Scripting. However scrpting is not easy.   So I put together a little package on crafting actions which include my take on dealing with image size.

The package also includes a dozen scripts I wrote to be use in actions to help action do some thing they can not do on their own.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points