Skip navigation
luisa jannuzzi
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make the "double hyphen" when hyphenatin usign the Brazilian Portuguese dictionary?

Jul 3, 2013 2:29 PM

The CS5 InDesign used to do what I am calling double hyphen. However since I started using the CS6 the Brazilian Portuguese dictionary does not recognize that function. In Portuguese when you have a word with as hyphen like diga-me it should be hyphenated like this:

diga-

-me

The CS6 is hyphenating like this:

diga

-me

I have tried to edit these kind of words in the dictionary but I couldn't include a hyphen in the editing box.

Does anyone knows how can I fix this?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 3:21 PM   in reply to luisa jannuzzi

Try this:

Hyphenation.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to luisa jannuzzi

Does your paragraph style have hyphenation activated? It won't work it is doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to luisa jannuzzi

It works at my end. I even tested it with other words as well, and it works. I assume you are using justification.

Hyphenation test.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to luisa jannuzzi

Let us know if anything changes. I got interested in your question because I'm working on a layout for a book translated to Portuguese and wasn't aware of this particular use of hyphenation. By the way, I have only used CS6. The reason I mentioned the hyphenation at the paragraph level is that while testing, it didn't have any effect until I turned on hyphenate for the particular paragraph style I was using.

|
    Mark as:
  • jmlevy
    479 posts
    Oct 30, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 2:40 AM   in reply to luisa jannuzzi

But are you sure that you have choosen the correct language in the character dropdown menu (or the paragraph style options)?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points