Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Classic "stray hair" scenario

Jul 3, 2013 3:00 PM

I appreciate that there is no classic right or wrong about this, but I have a series of models to work on.

To remove the background colour and, inevitably, a lot of stray hairs (see example).

My basic approach is to use "Quick Selection" which covers around 90%;

then I tidy in "Refine Edges"; but I am still finding that even this does not solve the stray straggly hairs (particularly towards the bottom of the picture)

Any suggestions or tips to get round this?Screen Shot 2013-07-03 at 22.53.15.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Paul Stedman

I got pretty good results on your screen shot by tweeking the initial selection, to include the hanging hairs at the bottom, along with decontaminating colors, of course.Mask.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 3, 2013 3:31 PM   in reply to Paul Stedman

Much as I love Refine edge, and it is true to say it completely changed my workflow and how quickly I could work, when introduced, but I never found it a particularly intuitive tool to use.  But the example you have showed should be a near perfect example of where Refine Edge works perfectly.  Even the tiny size you uploaded makes a near perfect mask.   Refine Edge is also pretty good at letting you know how best to output the results, and a new layer with layer mask is usually the answer for your example, because you can further refine the mask when you have the selection in its new location.

About the only tip I can give is to start with a big radius value, turn on Smart radius, and drop the radius back until the hard edges lose any feathering.  Then paint over the stray hairs.  Which is exactly what you have been doing no doubt.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 3, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Looking at the example in #1 there is an area of BG colour inset of the hair towards the top of the frame.  You should definitely be able to paint over that to make it transparent.   Another tip is to toggle Show Radius (j) which not only shows you the extent of where the mask is looking at, but also lets you remove excess with the Alt (Opt) keys.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 3, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to Paul Stedman

I find doing it the old fashion way using a color channel to create a mask or two often work well who needs CC refine edge? Oh that came before CC.

ChannelMask.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to JJMack

Nice job, JJ!  Do you have a link to a tutorial on using a color channel to create masks?  I'm intrigued. 

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 4, 2013 3:38 AM   in reply to station_two

Note this Tutorial is old  some of the links in it to images on the web are no longer valid.  Still it may help http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/ReplaceBG.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

Note this Tutorial is old  some of the links in it to images on the web are no longer valid.  Still it may help http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/ReplaceBG.html

Thanks a bunch, JJ!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to station_two

Wow that tutorial is just too hard to read and because there are no images, it makes it even harder to follow.  But thanks anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_2fwks.htm

Adding a tutorial that may be a little easier to follow.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

When I downloaded it, it had some images.

Thank you for the other link,

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 23, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

Michael Walton wrote:

Wow that tutorial is just too hard to read and because there are no images, it makes it even harder to follow.  But thanks anyway.

???? there are images in it????

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/MoveBG.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points