Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Media Cache purge.

Jul 3, 2013 3:26 PM

Preferences: The Clean Media Cache databases function  in CS6 does not appear to do anything to either of my Cache Folders.

1. Media Cache

2. Media Cache Files

I would have expected that to empty both those folders.

So manually..do I just clean them both out using Explorer?

Does anyone clean out everything except recent or current work?

Anyone know why one folder has more files than the other.? I would have expected them to match.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to shooternz

You do clean those out manually with Explorer.  The Database files are ordinarily in a hidden folder in the C: drive.  Clean will empty that one only.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to shooternz

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 3:42 AM   in reply to shooternz

In my understanding, XML files, which are Media Cache Database indexes, are stored in Media Cache folder, whereas various sorts of auxiliary files for speeding up audio and video preview are stored in Media Cache Files folder. Never heard of any other hidden folder, which would contain the database.

As declared in this help section, the Clean button removes only those files from both Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders, for which associated source files are no longer available (e.g. for offline media). Having read that, one would probably expect that the Clean button must delete all database indexes and auxiliary files associated with assets for projects one is not currently working on. However, that doesn't take place. So, the button should actually have been called 'Partially Clean Database Randomly'.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Never heard of any other hidden folder, which would contain the database.

The default is the user's AppData/Roaming folder, which is normally hidden.  But it can be changed, so...

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

You are mistaken. They are located where you set them to be. And hidden is also nonsense if your system is properly setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to cc_merchant

cc_merchant wrote:

You are mistaken. They are located where you set them to be. And hidden is also nonsense if your system is properly setup.

By definition (Windows) the "AppData/Roaming" folder is "hidden".  Therefore, so are its contents.

Whether it, as with all Windows hidden folders, is actually "hidden" is a matter of user choice.  If you personally choose to show "hidden" files, that does not alter the status of the file as far as Windows is concerned.  So what Jim said is correct.

I personally keep them well away from the Users folder on the system drive, and they are then not defined as "hidden" by Windows. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Irrespective of whether AppData folder is hidden or not, default Media Cache Database folders are still just Media Cache and Media Cache Files. Both are mentioned in Craig's original post, and I'm not aware of any other folder, which would contain something from Media Cache Database (by default).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Alan Craven

No, there are no media cache files in the roaming directory. That is BS. They are where you put them. So Jim is mistaken. About 'hidden', that never happens on a properly tuned system.

Whether that also applies to for instance C:\System Volume Information\SPP\SppGroupCache and similar directories, that depends on your level of expertise.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Irrespective of whether AppData folder is hidden or not, default Media Cache Database folders are still just Media Cache and Media Cache Files.

The confusion comes from the fact that I got those folders twice.  We get them in the hidden AppData folder (if you haven't changed it), but I did change the location for the actual Cache files themselves, so I also got both folders in the Cache location I specified for the actual files.  I (perhaps falsely) assumed Craig was in the same situation, moved Cache files but default Database.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to cc_merchant

there are no media cache files in the roaming directory.

If you don't change the default location, that is where you will find them.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Jim Simon
    The confusion comes from the fact that we get those folders twice.

I don't. Default location for Media Cache Database on Windows is C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache for database indexes and C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files for auxiliary (cache) files.

Irrespective of whether you changed the default Media Cache Database location or not, the Clean button still deletes only those database indexes and auxiliary (cache) files, for which associated sources are no longer available, including random deletion of database indexes and auxiliary (cache) files for projects, which are not currently in use. Deletes from folders currently specified for Media Cache Database. It doesn't look back into default folders, if you change the path. It doesn't delete database entries only, but both database entries and cache files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to cc_merchant

cc_merchant wrote:

No, there are no media cache files in the roaming directory. That is BS. They are where you put them. So Jim is mistaken. About 'hidden', that never happens on a properly tuned system.

Whether that also applies to for instance C:\System Volume Information\SPP\SppGroupCache and similar directories, that depends on your level of expertise.

The example you give is not defined by Windows as a hidden file - it does not appear when you select "Show hidden files in Folder Options.

It is a "Protected System File" and appears only when you uncheck that box in Folder Options, and confirm your choice..

Clearly level of expertise is a factor here!

Adobe, in their infinite (or is that infinitesimal) wisdom choose the Roaming directory as the default repository for these media cache files.

Most people, in their properly tuned system, move these caches to another drive.  Depending on how this is done, Media Cache folders can remain in the Roaming folder, even though they are no longer used.  If you do place them elsewhere, they are not defined by Windows as "Hidden".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Looks like both locations need to be manually cleared for a thorough cleaning.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Yep.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:42 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

No matter where they are...its still a P.I.A to find them before one can delete them.

Adobe sure spreads itsself through out the system ..and even more so with CC version.

FWIW - I have Show Hidden Files set in my O.System so the roaming appdata etc... was easy to see ...if not a mission to find.

What we need is SatNav built in to the OS!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points