Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

very sluggish performance and cracking

Jul 3, 2013 3:40 PM

Audition 6 is running very slow and is making cracking sounds, can't use crossfades etc. The performance of the program is painfully slow. It doesn't matter what sound card I use. The other day I had occasion to open Audition 3, I loaded a session and it was speedy and very fast, zipped along, no cracking or hesitations. So there is something in CS6 that is slowing me down. This is a new problem, has been fast in the past.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to ozworldz

It would probably be a good idea to give some details regarding your hardware and OS before anyone could offer asistance

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 4, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to SuiteSpot

I suspect that this is all related to your display problem, one way or another. Something in your machine got changed.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 9, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to ozworldz

ozworldz wrote:

(actually Audition 3 doesn't boot anymore since In installed my new mixer today but I'll ask about that in another discussion)

But that's the thing - adding hardware shouldn't make a scrap of difference to whether a program starts up or not. I still think that there's something fundamentally wrong with this machine. Something appears to be stealing most of the processor cycles when CS6 is running, and you have to figure out what this is.

One thing I would do is to disable the internal sound device completely, FWIW. These are absolutely more trouble than they're worth, as they are inextricably linked to the OS, and Microsoft have some very strange attitudes to audio. (Resampling, socket activity detection, failing to let you record what you can hear, flatly refusing to let you decide what sample rate to use, etc)

With your external mixer, use the ASIO driver.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 10, 2013 1:43 AM   in reply to ozworldz

If that's happening, then you need to reinstall the OS, because something's severely corrupted. If you reinstall a clean OS and just Audition, and have the same problems, then throw away the hardware, because it's not worth it.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Jul 10, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to ozworldz

ozworldz wrote:

I'm running 32 bit win xp but I have a 64 bit xp os on this machine which I never use. Maybe I should boot that and install AA6 with that os.

Try it and see.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 1:10 AM   in reply to ozworldz

ozworldz wrote:

Is AA6 a 64-bit application? It doesn't recognize my 64 bit plugins but only my 32 bit plugins (from my Program Files (x86) folder).But the Specifications for Audition 6 install clearly specify 64-bit. Could I have installed the 32-bit application? It didn't give me a choice.

Assuming you're talking about AA CS6 and not AA CC, CS6 is a 32 bit application, no 64 bit version.  CC, the latest subscription-only version, is 64 bit only.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to ozworldz

ozworldz wrote:

AA CS6 itself, as a stand alone, not CC, will not be updated in the future, I'm assuming. Correct?

That is cetainly my understanding.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points