Currently Being Moderated

Files Corrupted on Timeline and Causing Crash--PE4

Jul 3, 2013 6:18 PM

Tags: #elements_4 #crash_in_timeline #screach

Greetings all.

PE4 has always been crash-happy on my machine, the specs of which I list:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @2.66GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2

Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GT 520 (2GB)

Harddrive: 1TB (Seagate, I think...could be Western Digital) with 645GB free space

From the threads I've read, I've seen that nVidia cards can sometimes cause problems with Adobe software, so that could be part of the general crash problem. My driver is the latest (updated today, 7/3/13.)

Anyway, I've begun encountering a problem with a 33-minute-long animated film I've been editing in PE4. The movie has a lot of material on the timeline because all the animated video clips were split up with freeze frames in post-production to sync footage with dialog, and then there are a bunch of short sound effect clips on top of that plus music. Total, I have two video tracks and 8 audio tracks. I published the movie as an MPEG to my computer last night and then this afternoon, I burned a few DVDs of the finished project. When I reached a point about 13 minutes into the film, the speakers on my TV emitted a horrid screaching noise that lasted for about two seconds. In the film, a .wmv clip is playing with an ambient sound effects clip and a series of three short, consecutive sound effects for a character knocking on a wood box. (These audio clips are in separate tracks and are not a part of the .wmv file; I added them separately.) I thought perhaps my TV speakers were the problem, but my computer speakers acted the same way. Next I assumed that some glitch had occurred in media encoding and so I closed PE4, reopened, and burned a new disk with the same result. I checked the .mpg file that I exported last night, and the screach was absent from it.

I next tried to examine that specific spot in my timeline, but when I scrolled to it and zoomed in to a level where I could see <1 second long sound clips, the program crashed without mentioning a specific error. The Windows error reporting box popped up and simply informed me that "Adobe PE4 has encountered a problem and needs to close." Sceneline mode doesn't crash at that point, but timeline does. The only thing I can conclude is that somehow files on the timeline got corrupted between last night and this afternoon, but since I can't even look at that part of the timeline without a crash, I can't even replace the clips at that area. Am I overlooking something silly here? Any help would be appreciated. If I haven't supplied needed information, I'm sorry; and I'll be happy to add it.

Thanks,

Andrew Hild

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Andrew,

While I review your entire post, I can offer that PrE 4.0 has been basically "rock steady" for me, on a somewhat similar computer. While I have a Quad-Core CPU, and then an nVidia GeForce 8800M - 512MB (laptop) GTX chip. OS = XP-Pro SP3, and 4GB RAM.

I have been able to crash it, but only 3 times, and in each case, I was running a bunch of other Adobe programs, using a very long Duration Timeline (about 2 hours), and did NOT shut down other programs and processes.

Still, very steady, for me.

Will comment on the details of your Project later.

Good luck, and in the meantime, I hope that others will have some tips for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Andrew Hild

Let us start with the usual drill.

Please check

Adobe Folder. For pile ups of previews in Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and conformed audio (cfa and pek sets) in the Media Cache Folder.

Edit Menu/Preferences/Media. Click the Clean button to get rid of all conformed video (.mcdb) files.

Run the ccleaner (regular and registry cleaners)

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Remember you have only a 32 bit application there with all the resource limitations of 32 bit system. That makes computer optimization, especially around the time of high productivity, important to keeping the subsequent workflows flowing to a successful completion.

You wrote

These audio clips are in separate tracks and are not a part of the .wmv file; I added them separately.)

But do they sit on top of .wmv footage that has its own audio so that the audio of the .wmv is in conflict with that of the audio clips above it?

You may have two problems, audio conflicting and resources compromised.

Please review and let us know if any of the above applies to your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Four GB is all that any 32-bit OS can access - well, actually closer to 3.5GB, but we'll just call it 4GB.

Now, I rely on some of the suggestions in this article, when editing larger Projects on XP-Pro: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195

Good luck, and ATR has some good suggestions, that might be beneficial too.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to aj_hild

CFA & PEK files can be Deleted. However, if they are required by the Project, they will be recreated, so just be patient, if the program begins Conforming Audio.

If you have had many Projects on that comptuer, you will likely have leftovers from those. CFA files CAN be very large.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Andrew Hild

Thanks for the follow up.

Deleting the Media Cache Folder (cfa and pek sets)  in the Adobe Folder can be done safety. The program will automatically regenerate these files when and if the program decides it needs them. Same as in the case of the conformed video (.mcdb) that we cleaned out via Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

Deleting the preview files is important since that typically represents a large amount of large sized files. Have you done that yet? In this task, these are the files generated when you rendered the Timeline in the Edit Mode. Worst case, you will have to re-render if you need to get a good look again via the best possible preview.

You wrote

series of three short, consecutive sound effects for a character knocking on a wood box.

At this point, can you get at those 3 files and remove them from the project? If so, does removal of them result in a crash free playback?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Andrew Hild

I mentioned about the preview files in my post #7.

More later. I want to go back and view your screenshot.

ATR

Add On...

What are those thin vertical black lines below 00;13;52;24 and Zoom In (  - ) ? Looks like slivers or fragments of files.

Andrew.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2013 9:39 PM   in reply to aj_hild

Andrew Hild

Great news. Very pleased that you got the project to a successful conclusion. Great work.

Continued success. Thanks for the opportunity to offer assistance for your project.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points