Skip navigation
stockdizzle66
Currently Being Moderated

Suggested parameters for varying video sizes in same project, same format

Jul 3, 2013 4:51 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11 #varying_video_sizes_same_project #adding_image_layer

Hi guys, I'd like to know how to start a project using two different video sizes from the same camera.  I've shot some in standard and some in widescreen, both MOD format.  I don't mind the black sides that appear when a standard is displayed in a widescreen window, so I'm shooting for that.  Specs below.

Canon FS200

MOD

widescreen 856x480

standard (??) 

Premiere Elements 11.0

I've had some killer help from AT Romano with this intial setup, and I'm moving forward with that initial setup we made.  You out there man?

Also, (side topic, but related) I'd like to know if it is possible to add a layer over the black border sidebars that would be present for a standard video displayed in a widescreen box.  Is there a way to do this?  An image?  Can it be a custom size and drag/dropped where I wish?  Or would it require cropping out the center of the image, I.E. making a standard video-sized hole in an image that covers the full widescreen window, so as to not cover up when overlayed upon the standard sized video?  Or can I position two identical images, one on top of each of the black borders?

Thanks in advance. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Something for you to try on a mini test basis

Premiere Elements project preset as before DV Widescreen

Import your mod widescreen, adjust the pixel aspect ratio with Interpret Footage...scale away any traces of black borders.

Import your .mod standard. Is that going to be 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 (the short version of the question is that 640 x 480 is the square pixel version of 720 x 480 (non square pixels).

If you want to replace the black borders that you will see when viewing the .mod standard in the Edit Mode Monitor set for widescreen, you could experiment with

Video 2. Place the .mod standard

Video 1 Place the Background image that will fill the black borders.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Please check out the following for obtaining video properties when Mac computer is involved...

http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

Since I do not have a Mac, I have not used it first hand.

With the same project setting as before you should not be seeing any changes in mod widescreen display or playback. Is this a new clip or the same one as before? Did you apply any slow motion effects to the clips? In Premiere Elements you can create a slow motion effect using (a) Time Stretch or (b) with the Interpret Footage Frame Rate section. By any chance did you alter the frame rate in Interpret Footage while you were changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio/Conform To:?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

I see no reason why cannot bring those files into the same NTSC DV Widescreen Premiere Elements project.

Both come with MPEG2 video compression and the file extension of .mod. I am not sure that it will affect your workflow since both of the 4:3 and 16:9 are importing OK, but

a. Before you import these files into Premiere Elements, just rename the file extension part of the file name to .mpg so that you have "Name.mpg" instead of "Name.mod". See if that makes any different in your workflow.

Also please discuss with your consultant whether that Player will display widescreen video, that is, will it accept a directive from a 16:9 flag to display the video widescreen. With the mod widescreen we took the issue out by eliminating the need for 16:9 flag and consequently not giving the player the choice not to recognize it. If your Player will recognize it, I am wondering if we should leave the mod widescreen as 720 x 480 with the 16:9 flag instead of our maneuver of 856 x 480 square pixels  no 16:9 flag??

Just thoughts for now. Also, please make sure that the Interpret Footage settings are OK for Frame Rate as well as Pixel Aspect Ratio.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Could you check your steps that resulted in the missing media thumbnail for the .mpg in Project Assets?

Sequence should be:

1. At the hard drive save location (using copy of file OK), rename just the file extension of the file so the file name is Name.mpg instead of Name.mod.

2. Only then import that Name.mpg into a Premiere Elements 11 NSTC DV Widescreen project using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders to get the Name.mpg into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline Expert view.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Sometimes if you want to leave the original untouched, you can make a copy (right click the original, select Copy). Next do a paste at the same location or other. Then you could import the copy (renamed in this case) and leave the original as is.

The rationale behind the suggestion was to see if the file extension for the file made any difference in the editing of that file on the Premiere Elements Timeline - .mod versus .mpg.

Have you done computer maintenance and cleaning out the Premiere Elements preview files (Adobe Folder/Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder), conformed audio (Adobe Folder/Media Cache Files Folder cfa and pek files), and conformed video files (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and the Media Cache section there "clean button")?

I assume that the computer is being automatically defragmented. You can run the system through the ccleaner (cleaner section for now; registry part later if necessary).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Looking forward to your further results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Sorry, I keep forgeting that you are working from a Mac computer.

The following at the ccleaner web site seems like it would target your computer operating system...

http://www.piriform.com/mac/ccleaner

The feature with the Set In and Set Out points which can be used to trim the video is just called Preview Window. Most of the time, users add to the description "Preview Windows with the Set In and Set Out points" to get across the idea that he/she is not referring to the Edit Mode Monitor in the workspace.

Do you have any video footage that is not .mod standard or .mod widescreen? If so, please give it a try to see if we can pin point the slow aspect of your workflow....video format versus computer versus other.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to stockdizzle66

Snapping is a function that can be toggeled ON/OFF. On a PC, it is via the S key, and I think it's the same with a Mac.

As Snap is often very useful, I always remember to turn it back ON, when I am done with nudging, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Have we talked about how much RAM you have installed on your Mac computer?

What are the properties of these audio files...duration, file extension, audio compression, channels, etc? Can you post a MediaInfo Mac readout for one of them that is part of the typical slow down of the workflow issue?

How are you doing your clip trimming...

a. Double clicking the file in Project Assets to open the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out point

b. Then trimming in the Preview Window (blue head/red stem indicator to start of trim, click Set In; indicator to end of trim, click Set Out)

c. Then dragging from the Preview Window to the Timeline. That should allow you to place the trim wherever you want.

I suspect that you are opening the Preview Window by double clicking the file on the Timeline rather than in Project Assets.

Please give my suggestion a try to see if that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

I believe the Timeline snap feature to be a non issue in your case. But let us see. I have tried it each way. And, in the trimming drill, I do not see it factoring into your question.

With regard to your question specific to the trimming of the content, I think that the movement (whether called it) is a function of how you are doing the trimming, that is, from the Project Assets double click of the file there to open the Preview Window versus from the double click of the file on the Timeline to open the Preview Window. Not the on/off of the snap feature accessed by right clicking in the Timeline.

You have complete control of the placement of the trim when you double click the file in Project Media to open the Preview Window with its Set In and Set Out points.

See if any of the information in my blog post which took in the Preview Window is of any help to supplement what I suggest above.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe11-project-assets-organizatio n-for.html

Especially the part about getting the Project Assets file back to its original (if you want to) after you have gotten all the trims that you want from it.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 1:21 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Just a quick question for now. Do you have any or many of the computer connections as USB 2.0 or 3.0, and are they connected direct to the USB port of the computer or to a USB multi port hub and then from USB hub to the computer?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

I have been doing some Googling to see what information I could pick up on dropped frames. Have you seen the following?

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/104098-Why-does-your-system-drop-fr ames

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to stockdizzle66

stockdizzle66

Based on what you wrote

I want the title to be displayed while the audio plays and then the video and audio come in together afterward.

coupled with the fact that you are dealing with video and audio unlinked that you want to keep in sync....

Please see if this is what you seek and if it works for you.

Title at the beginning of the Timeline (Video 2) and given video on Video 1/audio on Audio 1 (at this point in sync) and assuming you do not want to Link Audio and Video....

Take your mouse cursor and draw a rectangle around the video and audio to select both at the same time.

When you do that you can take your mouse cursor and click drag anywhere in the selection to drag the video plus audio to the left to the position that you want the audio (not video plus audio) to start playing under the title.

Deselect by clicking anywhere in a blank space in the Timeline area. Click on the video to select it. Move the mouse cursor to where you want to cut the video to get rid of its beginning. Use the Split Clip Tab of the Timeline Indicator to cut at that spot.

Then right click the beginning trim that you just create and select Delete.

That should work if I have interpret your details correctly.

Or, if indicated along the workflow, use linking and unlinking the video and audio if you are having audio in sync problems (Click video, hold down Shift key, click audio...both are selected...click anywhere in the lightlight and select Link Audio and Video (or vice versa) depending on what you are doing.

As for

I noticed immediate slowdown of playback while I had Logic Pro open, yet idle (both audio and video synced, but were slowed down)

Is this a consistent day to day work session to work session event? There may be some conflicts between the programs, competion for resources and other? But see if you can establish a one on one cause and effect for Logic Pro running and Premiere Elements Mac having it problems.

More later.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points