Skip navigation
McMike1237
Currently Being Moderated

Premier elements delteed my movie files?

Jul 3, 2013 9:00 PM

I was making a video from clips from download mpegs.  All was fine. Then I tried to publish, and it appears that Adobe deleted the original mpeg files.  It did not finsih rendering and instead ended with an error, looking for the original files.  What deleted the files?

It is possible that the problem is with firefox, since the entire set of downloaded files is deleted, included non-videos.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 3, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to McMike1237

McMike1237

Only copies of the originals ever enter the Premiere Elements project. What you see in the Premiere Elements project links back to those originals on the computer hard drive, but never has the originals within the project.

Are any of the files involved classed as protected media?

Where did you store these downloads on the computer before importing them into Premiere Elements?

Before we get much further, what version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Once you imported your media into the project, did you move or delete any of it from its hard drive save location?

If these files were stored on an external hard drive, you should check the operation of that external hard drive including the possibility that the drive letter is changing spontaneously.

What are the properties of these files other than "mpeg files"?

Let us start here. We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to McMike1237

McMike1237

Here's a related question: why does elements need the original files to still be available?  Once I drop a clip in and save it, doesn't elements keep its own copy?  Elements seems to need the original to still be available, even after I have saved the project.

The above is an extremely point focus. The user cannot delete the source media that went into a project after the project is saved closed. If that is done, the user is faced with missing media and media offline messages that require reconnect before the user is allowed to continue.

The project has copies that need to connect the the originals in the location that were at when imported.

Please check into the concept of the Project Archiver Archive or Copy options as a life saver in these types of "media offline" moments.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc1 9b622510385d4355c-7dcb.html

I would agree with you the your issue seems based in Firefox (even before version 22)

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Unable_to_save_or_download_files

Have you seen the above article and looked into the storage location of your downloads?

This does not appear to be a Premiere Elements problem, other than it requiring the project connection between copies of the media that went into the project and the originals saved to hard drive. Again, Premiere Elements project has media copies not the originals.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to McMike1237

McMike1237

Thanks for the follow up. We are glad that you have identified the core of the issue. Good job.

Have you gone to another browser or did you find the workaround within Firefox documentation?

Continued success. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to McMike1237

If I download an Image from the Internet, I always make sure to Save that to one of my Project's working folders, say E:\[Project Name]\Still Images, for use in the Project.

Same if I receive an Image attached to an e-mail. I will Save that Image, in the same way, to get a Copy of that Image away from Outlook, which is my POP client.

This article might also be useful to understand what IS, and what IS NOT included in the Project file (PREL, with PrE): http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points