Skip navigation
DrGrelka
Currently Being Moderated

PE9.0.1 renders WMV files with reasonable quality but not Quicktime

Jul 3, 2013 9:54 PM

Tags: #sony #windows_7 #hdv #quicktime #premiere_elements_9 #output_quality

Hi all -

I have a Dell Precision M4600 notebook running Premiere Elements 9.0.1.  Processor is Intel Core-i7-2720QM at 2.20GHz, with 4GB RAM, running Win7 Pro SP1 (64bit).

My projects originate from a Sony HDR-FX7 camcorder, which has an 810x1440 pixel imager (16:9 aspect), and records in "1080i" HDV format onto tape.  Apparently this is recorded as a 1080x1440 (4:3 aspect) pixel space, which upon playback is stretched back to a 16:9 aspect ratio, and a full 1080x1920 pixel space, by some sort of anamorphic process.  The tapes are then laid back via Firewire to a Sony HVR-MRC-1K digital video recorder, because PE9 was unable to reliably ingest directly from the camera via Firewire (probably due to an incompatible Firewire chipset in the computer).  Files are instead copied via Firewire to another computer's HDD, then transferred to a USB thumb drive, then copied to the notebook's HDD.  These files are identified by Windows as MPEG-2TS with a 1080x1440 pixel space at a frame rate of 29 per second with the upper field leading and a video bitrate of 25Mbps.  Audio adds 384kbps to the overall bitrate (2ch, 48kHz).  Output to WMV has used the 720p-30 preset (de-interlaced, square pixels, variable constrained bitrate averaging 5Mbps with a max of 8Mbps. 

The problem comes when I try to render to MOV or M4V formats at similar quality and file size.  I have not found any presets or custom settings that even remotely approach the quality of the WMV output, even if I allow unacceptably large file sizes.  The main problem is motion-artifacts that look like they are the result of the mishandling of interlacing.  I have not found any place to check or update Quicktime codecs. 

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to DrGrelka

Your camcorder is an HDV tape-based video cam, which should interface perfectly with Premiere Elements, assuming your system is properly configured and you have the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.

You've got kind of a convoluted workflow there, so I'll tell you the simplest way to do what you're doing.

1) If your notebook has a FireWire connection, plug the camcorder into the FireWire (not USB) port and use Premiere Elements' Get Media/from HDV to capture the footage. On Windows 7 machines, you sometimes need to set the FireWire driver to "Legacy" to get this to work.

I suppose you can capture the video on another computer and transfer it, if your notebook doesn't have a FireWire port. But just be sure your'e capturing over  a FireWire connection and that you're using a universal program like HDV Split to do the capture, so that you can be sure the video is captured in .m2ts format. (This appears to be what you are doing.)

2) When you start your Premiere Elements project, be sure to choose the project preset for HDV 1440x1080 video.

3) You don't give any specs on the MOV output you're using. But in order to get something similar to yoru 720p WMV, you'll need to use Share/Computer/Quicktime using the HD 720p 30 preset from the drop-down menu. Is this what you're doing? And naturally, make sure you're playing the test footage on Quicktime Player and not Windows Media Player.

BTW, what do you plan to do with the video you're outputting from your project? Use it in another project? Post it online? Post it to Vimeo, Facebook or YouTube? Burn it to a DVD or BluRay? Each specific use has a specific optimal output setting.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to DrGrelka

If you are going to have your clients/friends download the video from a drop site and watch it on their computers, then the best output is Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the H264 720p preset.

This wil produce a high-quality, computer-viewable MP4 that will give you the best viewing quality with the most efficient file size.

Here are instructions for setting your FireWire driver to Legacy:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/869277?tstart=0

Incorporating that into your current workflow should give you the best possible results in that medium.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points