Skip navigation
Narmine700
Currently Being Moderated

Making a technical drawing using a handmade drawing

Jul 4, 2013 9:15 AM

Tags: #illustrator #drawing #technical

I have to make a technical drawing using a handmade drawing. When I use technical drawing option, I get a technical drawing with double lines, bacause the lines of my original drawings are a little thick. How can I get a tecnical drawing with one line and not double lines?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Narmine700

Don't use Autotrace features.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Narmine700

Narmine,

Presumably, the drawing should have simple paths/segments (straight/circular/elliptic/whatever), and you may make certain changes if the hand drawn artwork is a sketch/draft.

You may use the Pen Tool, Tools in the Rectangle Tool group, and other functions, using the present drawing as a template (you  may lock it and work on top of it).

More details may give more details.

And what Monika said.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2013 11:29 PM   in reply to Narmine700

As Monika said - if it's supposed to be a "technical drawing" you can't use auto-trace. The whole point of drawing with exact measurements would be lost...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 1:06 AM   in reply to Narmine700

I see. in that case you may have better luck scanning it and mangling it in Photoshop. Eroding and smoothing lines based on the relevant selection tools there might prove useful and often works if you want to simulate a slightly scratchy "historic" look. For anything else cleanly re-drawing/ manualyl tracing in AI might be more efficient.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Narmine700

The FIRST thing you need to do is state what version of Illustrator you are using. No less than seven different versions are frequently referenced in this forum and the autotrace feature was rebuilt in CS6.

If by "technical drawing" you're just refering to the name of one of the presets of the autotrace feature, and if you insist on using autotracing, then you need to read up on and experiment with the autotrace settings. Basically, you need to be autotracing in centerline mode, not outline mode. Turn on Stroke, turn off Fills. Probably turn on Ignore White. Max out the Maximum Stroke Weight.

But again, specific settings may differ depending on what version you're using.

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points