Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge CC cache memory (PC)

Jul 4, 2013 1:35 PM

Tags: #bridge #cache_memory

In previous version of Bridge it was possible to place the cahe memory on either folder on either hard disk.

In Bridge CC, I can oly place it on the C:user/<user name> folder or subfolder.

Why such a restriction?

I don't want to place this cache on my SSD system but on a raid0.

How to do this?

Thx.

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 4, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to elpjg

Why such a restriction?

As a Mac user I have to be a bit careful but I'm not aware of any changes in the option to select a custom location of the cache file. It is still possible in the Bridge preferences Cache section.

If the location is not accepted it might me due to system settings (no read/ write or admin permissions) or your RAID 0 set up.

However you should reconsider to prefer a raid 0 system above an SSD. SSD is super fast in both read and write. But I don't know the specs of your raid drives, however if these are HDD I still think the SSD route is the fastest

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 4, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to elpjg

In past versions you could export cache to folders, but that just made 2 cache locations.  Central cache was still the active cache (preferences/cache), and the exported cache was  supplementary.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 5, 2013 12:52 AM   in reply to Curt Y

In past versions you could export cache to folders, but that just made 2 cache locations.

You still can do so using menu tools/cache/build and export cache. By default the option to export cache to folders is selected. As long as there is a check mark in front of this option to my knowledge it still creates double cache, one in the central and one in the folder itself.

Again, I'm not aware of any major changes regarding cache management between CS6 and CC. The only difference I can spot is that CC again seems faster and in the cache folder for CS6 / data is a file called 'store' while in CC Data folder is besides this 'store' file also a smaller file called "store-journal' probably the reason for a faster cache experience in Bridge CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to elpjg

What OS?

I don't recognize those window locations.  In Bridge CS6 and below you set the cache location in Edit/preferences/cache.  In that window you can browse to a location for the cache.  THis is central cache and the main cache used you Bridge.

At this same window you also have option to "export cache to folders when possible".  THis gives you a secondary cache and as stated it is in each folder.  Advantages are limited in my opinion.  Disadvantage is you can only purge this cache folder by folder through Tool/cache.

Although I do not have CC and would be very suprised if this has changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to elpjg

Just users here.

Here is my edit/preferences/cache screen with win 7 on CS6.  As you can see it looks nothing like yours.

bridge pref.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jul 7, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to elpjg

And once more, it works perfectly right with CS4, CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 on the same computer

Can't check how to correct because I use a Mac but to me it seems you have no admin privileges for Bridge CC.

When I click on the button Choose from the screenshot Curt provided in my Bridge CC I have full options to choose all locations on all my disks like I had in all other versions.

I think Curt can guide you to the correct procedure for checking admin privileges.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to elpjg

Unless you have the screen shots blanked out where it shows white, both of these screens should show your entire computer directory.

Assuming you just did not get a screen grab of the directory and below  (computer) Ordinateur does it  show the rest of the directory in CS6?

Assuming that is a yes what difference do you see in the Folder Panel of CS6 vs CC?  They should be the same.  And if they are the same then it is odd the "choice" in cache does not give you the same directory view.

Respond back and we can take it from there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points