Skip navigation
KKramer49
Currently Being Moderated

After Compare, Two Images Remain Selected

Jul 4, 2013 8:09 PM

Tags: #compare #lr5 #lightroom_5.0

Generally when I shoot a scene I make 6-10 exposures.  I like to use the Lightroom Compare function to then select the best of the batch.  But in Lightroom 5, instead of selecting only my "winner", when I leave the Compare function, I end up with two images selected in Grid view.  This is not the way it is supposed to work. It is only supposed to leave my "winner" selected.  So, several times in the last week or so, I have used the Develop module to work on my winner.  Then when I export it, the two images that Lightroom has erroneously designated as Selected get exported.  I only want my adjusted winner, not the next image in line too.  What's going on?  I think it's a bug.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 11, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to KKramer49

Hi,

who to you throw the bad ones away? I think you use the "X" sign in the bottom right of the image. Finally you alway end up with two selected images.

I use the following workflow:

1. I created a filter "show only pick and unpicked images"

2. Activate this filter

3. Select images to compare

4. Mark unwanted images with x-key (mark to delete)

5. Finally I end up with one images (and the next on in the file-stip, because LR alway select 2 images in compare mode).

6. goto 3

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to THG_BO

The part of Step 5 in your workflow that you have in parenthesis is new behavior for LR5.  More specifically:

Up through LR 4.4.1, if you go to Library and select two images then click X|Y to go into Compare mode, and click the X at the bottom of one to deselect it, only one image is selected and the other half of the compare says No Photo Selected.

If you do this same procedure in LR 5.0 then instead of the other window saying No Photo Selected, at least two images are always selected but exactly what happens when you click X to attempt to deselect the last non-chosen image depends on whether the two images are adjacent in the filmstrip and whether you’re trying to X-off the image that is nearer the beginning or nearer the end of the film-strip:  when you X-off the last non-keeper of the compared images, the one to the right of the keeper one is automatically added to the selection so two images remain.  If the image you’re trying to X-off is adjacent and to the right then nothing happens because it is reselected immediately.  If you X-off the lefthand image or one that isn’t adjacent to the keeper then that image is deselected but the one just to the right of the keeper is selected as the other choice and if you keep Xing-off the lefthand image then the pair of images will continue to move down the filmstrip, until it gets to the end, then the last two images will alternate back and forth as the selected image if you keep Xing one of them.

This new behavior might be useful if you are trying to compare a bunch of adjacent images (the usual case) but don’t want to actually multi-select the entire set of images to compare, but it is not useful if you are expecting to end of with only your keeper selected which is probably always what you expect.  You shouldn’t have to Ctrl-click on the last non-keeper just to deselect it just to end up with your one keeper selected.

In other words, we're giving up the result of having the keeper selected at the end a compare process for the convenience of not having to select more than one image before starting the compare process.  I value having one keeper selected at the end more than not having to select what images I'm comparing.  Maybe those involved in the UI design for LR5 felt differently, or maybe it is a bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to ssprengel

In other words, we're giving up the result of having the keeper selected at the end a compare process for the convenience of not having to select more than one image before starting the compare process.  I value having one keeper selected at the end more than not having to select what images I'm comparing.  Maybe those involved in the UI design for LR5 felt differently, or maybe it is a bug.

From LR5 help

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 7.35.24 PM.png

Todd,

This appears to be a new "feature" in LR5 that , as you, I think is a poor UI design but it also seems to have introduced a nasty bug as shown in the following thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5465076#5465076

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

I don’t mind there being a lazy compare mode, where it autoselects the next image for you if only one is selected as you go into Compare which is what the Help talks about, what I do care is that if I carefully multi-select the images I want to compare, now I can’t tell that I’m at the end without continuously looking at the thumbnail bar, which I may have hidden and can’t even see, or waiting for a less-similar image to pop into view.

The bug arises from the fact that Compare mode ALWAYS HAS TWO IMAGES SELECTED even if you have ctrl-clicked one so that it is no longer appears selected in the thumbnail strip.   For example, if you are in Compare mode and ctrl-click the non-keeper thumbnail so only the keeper is selected, but you then switch to another module other than Develop, that non-keeper image is still selected.  Click Print after being in Compare mode and there’ll be two images selected.  In Develop this selection seems to be suppressed at least visibly, but not for Print or apparently Export and probably others.   It seems that to use compare mode to select a keeper to work with you have to add another step of going to Grid of Loup view before ctrl-clicking away the last non-keeper.

I’m sure the lazy-select looked good when they were demonstrating it—how convenient it selects the next image automatically, but no one actually tried using it to see what happened at the end of the compare process when want to do something with the one keeper that was selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to ssprengel

This bug still exists in LR5.2RC

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to KKramer49

Exactly.  Adobe did this on purpose, and it is very unuseful.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to KKramer49

As Steve said in reply 4,  this "feature" may have looked like a good idea but the implementation created what I consider a severe bug as the images sometimes appear deselected but are not.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 5:30 PM   in reply to KKramer49

I would prefer if the complement of images selected was not altered when done with comparison - I can use metadata as I see fit (or manual re-selection) to select a different complement of images afterward, if desired.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

There are times when the vociferous minority are heard above others. Sadly, this is very likely one such case. If the new behaviour really impacts on your workflow then I suggest that you make your voice heard http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

BTW, explaining why the new behaviour doesn't work for you will be heard clearer than simply ranting. No finers pointing - just saying.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Ian Lyons

Ian,

For me, it is not the change in behavior that is the problem although I prefer Lightroom NOT do automatic selections for me.  The problem is that this change has introduced a random bug where there are images selected that do not appear selected.  See Steve's comment #4 and this thread   http://forums.adobe.com/message/5465076#5465076.    I can not consientiently reproduce this problem but have resorted deselecting compare mode after using it by going into grid or loupe, selecting an image NOT in the remaining selection and then reselecting the image I want before going into develop.  This way I am assured I have only ONE image selected.  It seems to work so far.  If I don't do this, sometimes I have a PHANTOM image selected. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2014 10:16 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

This bug is STILL in Lightroom 5.4.  This is a critical bug that can involve inadvertent loss of files and has been in Lightroom 5 since the beginning.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2014 5:43 AM   in reply to KKramer49

I have a workaround. Select your images and invoke Compare View. Process your images as usual but, just before you exit Compare View, click on the right side of the Compare View dialog (Candidate) to give it focus. Then exit Compare View. This works under Windows for Lightroom 5.4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:49 AM   in reply to KKramer49

KKramer49 wrote:

This seems to work, and I am glad you offered this "solution".  It helps but it doesn't fully solve the problem.  I guess that's up to Adobe.  I don't understand how they think this bug is helpful. 

What do you do if the "winner" is already at the left side of the screen?

Although you give focus to the Candidate, the Select image will be the one finally selected when you exit Compare View.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 10:05 AM   in reply to ttwn

ttwn wrote:

I have a workaround.

On OSX, the workaround does not seem to work. Adobe really needs to fix this but I have pretty much given up on them and am just making sure the correct images are selected after using compare by selecting a totally different image and then reselecting the ones I want.  The bad part is it was working  correctly pre-Lr5 and they broke it by implementing a questionable "feature" of autoselection.  Then they double-downed on the screwup by not fixing it for a year and several updates and rc's

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 8:39 PM   in reply to ttwn

ttwn wrote:

Although you give focus to the Candidate, the Select image will be the one finally selected when you exit Compare View.

That appears to be true (as seen in the filmstrip), yet it still says '2 selected' and if exporting, it'll export 2... - i.e. 2 are "really" selected, even though it appears like only one is selected in the filmstrip - so beware..

win7/64 Lr5.4

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 8:47 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

That appears to be true (as seen in the filmstrip), yet it still says '2 selected' and if exporting, it'll export 2... - i.e. 2 are "really" selected, even though it appears like only one is selected in the filmstrip - so beware..

In fact, if you exit and restart LR, it changes from one select to two selects. We've just discovered how to do invisible selects!

Sigh...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:20 PM   in reply to ttwn

Lightroom 5  always auto selects 2 images for compare mode.  This is a change from previous versions and this "feature" to supposedly help the user created this nasty bug that Adobe has not seemed to be concerned about.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:37 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Bob Somrak wrote:

this "feature" to supposedly help the user

Did  Adobe actually say that? if so, I'd love to read it if you can find the page..

(I always assumed that was a rationalization of an Adobe goof by a "defender" who's thought went like: if Adobe did it, there must have been a good reason..).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:50 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I assume Adobe thinks it is a "feature" as they went out of their way to change the behavior in Lr5 from previous versions.  I think it is a poor UI design as Lightroom shoud not be auto selectng photos but my main concern is it introduced this problem where they don't get deselected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:55 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Bob Somrak wrote:

they went out of their way to change the behavior

Why do you think the change was intentional? - I assumed it was a goof..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 9:59 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

Why do you think the change was intentional? - I assumed it was a goof..

You may be right.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2014 10:08 PM   in reply to Bob Somrak

Nobody seems to be arguing for it's virtue, yet plenty of people are aggravated by it. So if it was intentional, it was still a mistake, in my opinion.

To cast your vote for fixing (just in case it would do any good ):

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/compare_should_s elect_only_one_winner_not_a_winner_and_image_that_happens_to_be_next_i n_line

R

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2014 5:47 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

Nobody seems to be arguing for it's virtue, yet plenty of people are aggravated by it. So if it was intentional, it was still a mistake, in my opinion.

To cast your vote for fixing (just in case it would do any good ):

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/compare_should_s elect_only_one_winner_not_a_winner_and_image_that_happens_to_be_next_ i n_line

R

I voted. If you are reading this thread, cast a vote. And be polite.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points