Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Merge Clips and MultiCam: does Syncing by audio work at all?

Jul 5, 2013 8:59 AM

Hi,

I just upgraded to Premiere CC and I'm a bit(very) dissapointed. One of the reasons why we upgraded was the possiblity to sync audio and video within Premiere. We use Plural eyes quite extensively but I'd love to be able to do everything within Premiere.

However I've tried to Sync a few video clips (DSLR with Rode top mic) with a few audio clips (from audio recorder) and the result is always off. Sometimes by a few seconds, sometimes by less and sometimes Premiere wont even consider some of the clips......

I've tried the syncing through the Multicam feature or through the 'merge clips' option to no avail......I mean, this is really bad from Adobe! how can it be so faulty? Is there something I'm missing?

Back to Plural Eyes then.....

cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to viva_la_zoom

I've seen reports of it working brilliantly, and other reports like yours where it's not so good.  The few tests I tried did not sync at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to viva_la_zoom

I do believe we've uncovered (yet another) bug. For the life of me, I couldn't get a video to sync to its respective WAV. The audio from both sources was clean and clear; if Premiere couldn't auto sync this, it couldn't sync anything...

Then the funny part: it could sync everything else together perfectly (DSLR, GoPro, HDV). I must admit I was impressed, GoPros record fairly horrible audio- but Premiere managed to sync them  accurately and quickly with the other cameras. It just treated the external audio as foreign and refused it.

Can someone from Adobe chime in? I'm here for questions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to Huntrex

The trouble I had was with a video clip and a Zoom audio clip, trying to created a Merged clip, not a multicam.

I wonder if the audio clip is what's throwing things off somehow, though I can't imagine why.  Audio is audio, in this case, as it all get's conformed to the same 32 bit floating point anyway.  I would assume PP is using that to look for sync, so I'm not seeing how the audio source messes things up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Exactly Jim. Absolutely nothing will sync with Tascam WAV file (be it timeline sync, merged clips, mulitcam, etc.). But the videos seem to sync together with nary an issue (timeline or multicam). Strange.

My initial thought was that the WAV's specs were somehow incompatible with the new option. So, I tried transcoding it to different audio formats... no dice. Next step: transcode the audio to a video format and try it again. There has got to be some logic to this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Huntrex

So the question is, do we have a bug, or is this by design?

If others could report their results when trying to sync video with a stand alone audio file, we may see a pattern.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I've already done a bug report a couple of weeks ago on the "merge clip" using audio bug i.e. doesn't sync audio at all and this function just puts each video clip at the beginning of the audio track as a merge and always out of sync. So I'm using the new Plural Eyes for CC update available free at Red Giant until we get a fix from Adobe for the Merge Clips and Multi Cam problems. I also haven't seen much mention of the merge clips audio option bug until this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

If others could report their results when trying to sync video with a stand alone audio file, we may see a pattern.

I've had no luck with that.  Not that it matters, but the sound input was a WAV file from a Roland R-09.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

I can't sync anything - using AV clips or Roland recorder audio clips - doing it exactly the way the adobe tutorial says.  Makes no difference whether I'm using Multicam merger, or merely audio syncing two clips on the timeline - no go.  I upgraded mostly for this feature.  Only bought CC a couple of days ago, so I'm absolutely about to bail on this upgrade.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points