Skip navigation
lgemmel
Currently Being Moderated

Text is scrambled when printing from web

Jul 5, 2013 9:13 AM

Tags: #acrobat_x_pro #create_pdf

I have a problem printing from certain websites to Acrobat X.  When I print to Acrobat using a print button all of the text in the pdf is scrambled.  Printing to my printer works fine.  Interestingly, if I cut and paste the scrambled text from the pdf it comes out correctly. 

I have checked with the website and they have no knowledge of what would cause this problem. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to lgemmel

Printing from what browser?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to lgemmel

If you have the option, use File > Create PDF > From Web Page in Acrobat. Not always suitable, but it often does a much better job and can keep links, do multiple pages etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Test Screen Name

It's related to how Acrobat substitutes fonts. Increasingly, websites are using downloaded 'web' fonts (such as from Typekit), and because they don't exist on the operating system's list of installed font files, you need to ensure that "rely on system fonts" is disabled in Acrobat's presets.

Because this site uses a rights-managed Typekit font called Adobe Clean you will find the same thing happening when you try to print/convert this page to PDF - the substituted text can appear to be random letters because there's no embedded lookup table, but within the PDF file's structure the text is actually there (so it copies and pastes properly).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points