I have a problem printing from certain websites to Acrobat X. When I print to Acrobat using a print button all of the text in the pdf is scrambled. Printing to my printer works fine. Interestingly, if I cut and paste the scrambled text from the pdf it comes out correctly.
I have checked with the website and they have no knowledge of what would cause this problem.
It's related to how Acrobat substitutes fonts. Increasingly, websites are using downloaded 'web' fonts (such as from Typekit), and because they don't exist on the operating system's list of installed font files, you need to ensure that "rely on system fonts" is disabled in Acrobat's presets.
Because this site uses a rights-managed Typekit font called Adobe Clean you will find the same thing happening when you try to print/convert this page to PDF - the substituted text can appear to be random letters because there's no embedded lookup table, but within the PDF file's structure the text is actually there (so it copies and pastes properly).
Yes, this was exactly the problem. In the print dialogue I opened properties for the Adobe PDF printer and unchecked the "Rely on System fonts only, do not use document fonts". PDF then came up properly formatted.
Note that I had to open properties of the Adobe PDF Printer in the Windows Printers and Faxes window to apply this change for future printing.
Thanks for your prompt response and solving this long standing mystery!