Skip navigation
davinafear
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for the camera raw plugin for Nikon d3100

Jul 5, 2013 1:17 PM

Tags: #cs4 #raw #camera #plugin #nikon #d3100

Hello!

I'm familiar with how to install a camera raw plugin for photoshop.  However, I've had a difficult time finding the correct download link for the Nikon d3100 for ps cs4.  Will you please point me in the right direction with a link or otherwise?  Thanks so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to davinafear

ACR - Adobe Camera Raw versions are specific to the version of Photoshop you have.

They don't provide updates to your version for cameras that were released much later.

You need to download the LATEST version of DNR Converter and use this to convert a FOLDER that contains your D3100 files to DNGs which then can be opened in your older version of ACR for Photoshop CS4.

The Adobe DNG Converter, a free utility that converts files from more than 350 cameras to DNG, enables you to easily convert camera-specific raw files to a more universal DNG raw file.

Adobe DNG Converter for Mac OS
    Adobe DNG Converter for Windows

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 5, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

Theres a handy table here that tells you ehich verion of ACR you need for any particular camera - provided that camera is supported at all.

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cam eras.html

[EDIT]  Looking at the table again, it would be handy if it also said what version of Photoshop supports what version of ACR.  You can work backwards of course.  8.# = CC, 7.# = CS6 etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

[EDIT]  Looking at the table again, it would be handy if it also said what version of Photoshop supports what version of ACR.  You can work backwards of course.  8.# = CC, 7.# = CS6 etc.

If I'm reading you right, the link to that table is on the same page under the "Other helpful documents" subheading, Trevor. I use it all the time.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/camera-raw-compatible-applic ations.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 5, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to davinafear

Thanks John.  I am blessed with having man eyes, that are well known for their inability to see things in plain sight, in cupboards etc.  I can shout to my wife to find the marmalade that someone has hidden right at the front, and dead centre, of the eye level shelf in our pantry, but asking her to ‘un-hide’ things on web pages, would be a step too far.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I can identify with that 100% !

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to davinafear

ACR and DNR converter are completely different.

ACR 5.7 is the latest version of ACR that can be used with CS4

Downloading a newer version of ACR will not work in your situation. In fact having 2 versions of ACR installed will cause problems.

The older versions of ACR like 5.7 are NEVER updated with the newer cameras.

Because of this you need to download the latest version of DNG Converter.

DNG Converter is not a plug-in like ACR.

DNG Converter is an application that you must double click to open and then point it to the FOLDER that contains the D3100 files.

It does NOT work if you point it at a single NEF file. It will convert all the files in the FOLDER, just don't try and open the folder to select indiviual file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to davinafear

You cannot, I repeat YOU CANNOT use Adobe Camera Raw 7.1 with CS4.

ACR 5.7 is the last one that will run with CS4.

What you need to download and install is the free, stand-alone Adobe DNG Converter 8.1.  Once installed, you need to launch it and run it on the folder containing your NEFs to convert your raw NEF files to raw DNG files, which you can then open in your version of ACR with CS4.

Point the converter to the folder containing the NEF files, it will not see the individual files.

You will need to manually convert each new batch of photographs.  The Converter does not act magically or passively on its own.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:09 PM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post when I clicked on "Post".

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to station_two

The forum threw several error messages when I attempted to edit my response.

But Station_Two clarified what I was trying to say in my attempted edit.

I guess Edits and Replies at the same time give the forum fits.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,826 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Jul 5, 2013 6:07 PM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

If you are still having problems, it might be worth purging the Bridge cache.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points