Skip navigation
Johnnie Quidd
Currently Being Moderated

Barely usable Premier speeds. :(

Jul 5, 2013 1:07 PM

I've just migrated from Media Composer to Premier CS6 and my trusty ole Macbook Pro can't run it well. This is how it specs out. Am I in trouble? Is there some sort of proxy media solution that would suit me?

Huge Thank you!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          4 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MBP71.0039.B05

SMC Version (system):          1.62f7

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

When you say it can't run it well, to what aspect of running it are you referring? Please be specific.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Pro forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

What kind of video? That is, what's the codec? As you probably know, some are more resource intensive to decode than others.

You can render the timeline, which will write out a preview file that can yield smoother playback. The sequence preset determines the format of the render preview.

Typically, rendering is warranted only when you're dealing with demanding codecs or effects or when you're computer has marginal specs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

I'm not familiar enough with C-Log estimate whether your system should be able to deliver smooth playback. Anybody else?

One suggestion--not as a long-term solution but just to determine whether the external HDD or the USB interface is at fault: move some of your content to internal drive and import it from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

You are trying to ride to Ax 3 Domaines with a heavy load, using your granny's old bicycle. It is no wonder you can't match C. Froome's speed. Your system is just way too underpowered. Too slow a CPU, not enough memory and severely lacking disk setup.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

With USB 3.0 you may get reasonable playback, but 4K video running off a USB 2.0 drive is likely the culpret. Now why Media Composer was allowing you to run it correctly I can't say as I've never used it before, but I would see what happens when you move video off the external drive and directly onto the MacBook's hard drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to Johnnie Quidd

Johnnie,

You're asking far too much out of your very old generation laptop to begin with (as cc_merchant stated). You see, 1920x1080 HD (especially if it's AVCHD and of any of the various codecs used in DSLRs) and 4K material requires an extremely fast, multicore CPU and a very fast disk subsystem just to even edit smoothly. Unfortunately, your MacBook Pro has neither, nor does it have the capability of even adding one. And in my experience with a desktop system with a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo CPU, it proved barely capable of editing even 1280x720p video, let alone "full HD". And that's with the absolute fastest GPU and disks that were available for desktops at the time when the CPU was still available new.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points