Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Transparency? What "transparency?"

Jul 5, 2013 2:39 PM

Tags: #transparency #no_transparency

Yet another running, jumping, screaming headache.

I've tried everything I know to save a Photoshop image with the transparency preserved.

When I bring the image back up in Photoshop, no background (ie transparent).

When I bring the image up in Premiere Elements, the background is black.

I tried saving the image as a PNG file.

When I bring the PNG image back up in Photoshop, the background is white.

When I bring the PNG image up in Premiere Elements, the background is black.

Hello?

I need this transparent image as an overlay on another image, and prefer not to fool around with a green-screen.

Now what?

rh

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

PNG should be able to give you Transparency.

However, I find that a PSD (Photoshop's native format) has fewer issues, with a Transparent Background. Have you tried that format?

Please let us know if the PSD works. I also Scale my PSD's to match the Project's Frame Size.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

RoysScreenName

Please excuse all the questions. I  just did not want to take anything for granted.

When you are in Premiere Elements with your image and you say

"the background is black"...

In the two cases that you wrote about, if you put your image on Video 2 and a photo directly underneath it on Video 1, does the photo show through in what is supposed to be the "transparent" sectors of the image on Video 2?

I wanted to get this question and answer out of the way before proceeding further. Premiere Elements uses black to represent transparency so I just wanted to make sure that you have differenitated between an object on the color black background versus an object surrounded by transparency which is being represented in Premiere Elements as black.

Also, what type of .png file are selecting for the save, Save for Web's png-8 or png-24 with the selection for transparency?. Or, the png selection under Save As? Are you remembering to turn off the Visibility icon for all layers except the one with the transparency around the object?

Aside note trivia...when I find myself in Premiere Elements with the black representing the color in a situation such as yours, if I am in a hurry, I will use Chroma Key to get rid of the black to create the true transparency represented by Premiere Elements' black.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 4:25 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

RoysScreenName

In response to question about

Have you in fact ever loaded a Photoshop file with a transparent background into Premiere Elements?

Yes, many, many times as .png and .psd from Photoshop Elements - with transparency of file maintained.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Yes, many times. I have never had an issue.

PNG handles Transparency in a different fashion, than does PSD. The visual results are the same, but the method differs.

I will post an example of a Transparent Background PSD, Imported and used in Premiere Elements 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Here is a look at my PSD in Photoshop w/ a Transparent Background.

Photoshop_Transparent_PSD.png

Here is that same PSD Imported into PrE 11:

PSD_Imported_to_PrE11.png

Now, back in Ps, did you Flatten the PSD? If so, do not do that. Instead, if you need to, Merge Visible. Your PSD will Import with full Transparency.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Roy,

I would pick up that sponge, and just pretend that it slipped out of your hand.

I think that you are close, but need only one more little step.

I suspect that you Flattened the PSD, then did the Save_As PSD, before Import. That is not necessary, and will convert the Transparent Background to white. Same thing with many formats, like JPEG, that does not support Transparency.

Good luck, and please give it one more go, then report your success.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 6:19 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Most of us spend a good deal of our time, trying our best to help users get the most from their editing expereinces. Usually, we're pretty good, but do miss a thing, or two, sometimes.

As for Steve G., my guess is that he and his family are enjoying the July 4th holiday, in the US. Probably hotdogs on the grill, maybe fireworks, and a parade, or two. Just a guess.

From my examples, you should be able to see that a PSD with Transparency for the Background, is very doable. Sorry that I Imported an SD Widescreen 16:9 PSD into an HD Project, but you get the idea. I started to redo things, but already had the screen-caps, and had declared "Wine Thirty," so let that little thing go. Hope that you do not mind.

I also used both Text, plus a Shape, in my PSD, to show that both types of Objects, can show on a Transparent Background.

I just hope that the examples help,

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Great news!

In PrE, Transparent, over no other video WILL show as black. If you had other material, say a Video, or Still Image (in my example), that black would NOT be black, but Transparent.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Roy,

You are correct. I find it better to think of a Still Image (or even a Video with Alpha Channel, or similar) over nothing, as "nothing," rather than black. Yes, we SEE it as black, but it's really showing nothing. It's like playing an empty Video Track vs one with Black Video (synthetic Video, created with the New Item icon). They appear to the viewer's eye, to be identical, i.e. black, but are quit different in actuality. That is why gaps, i.e. no Video, can cause Transcodes to fail. Though a gap looks like Black Video, it is very different, and the Transcond engine can easily fail at the point of a gap.

If working with a Transparent Asset, it can often be useful to add, then later remove, a Color Matte, below that Transparent Asset. I do similar in Photoshop, quite often. Rather than change the display of Transparency, from the gray/white grid, I just add a Color Layer, below everything else, and Delete it, before I do a Save_As PSD.

Though I do not know for sure, I would guess that Steve has taken the family to the beach, or to the mountains, for a long-weekend. Hope that he produces some great video!

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

As for the "answer print," I use Vimeo, or YouTube, to display works in progress. If I am working with a client, who has a fast connection, I might upload the "daily" to YouSendIt, which will store the AV file, and send the client an e-mail, with the URL to download that. I can add other functions, such as limit the # of downloads, receive notification if the client has downloaded it, restrict the downloads as required, and also receive notification of when the client read their e-mail. Each of those costs a few $'s, but can be useful.

For most of my stuff, however, I just use Vimeo, or YouTube, and when the life of that piece has run its course, just Delete it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

And, I just saw that Steve had popped into another thread, a moment ago. Maybe he's got his Mac PowerBook at the "beach?"

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You guys are doing fine without me on this thread, Bill!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:21 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I don't know. Roy kept calling out your name!

bat_light_SG.png

Hope that you had a safe and glorious July 4th.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Sometimes even Batman leaves the work to Superman and Night Wing, Bill.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 9:31 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Roy,

When one posts to several sites, the first URL that they get is for their private viewing. Depending on the service, there is usually an "non-private" URL, for others to view.

Did you post the "private" URL?

If so, when you go to that (only you can), there should be a second one, maybe to the right, and below the player of the private version. If so, can you post that link?

Good luck, and we look forward to seeing your work.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Love your video, Roy! Thanks for sharing it.

A "rank beginner"? I think you're well on your way to being a terrific videomaker. And you clearly have a knowledge of film and film history. Great job!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Roy,

So very glad that you were able to post that URL. I get tripped up on YouTube also, as I do not use it ALL that often, and have to poke around on each page, more than I should. Sounds very interesting.

Being a fan of Brad Thor, Brad Taylor, Vince Flynn (RIP), Brad Meltzer and many more authors of that genre, plus others, such as James Lee Burke, I am very interested in The Last Days of Las Vegas. I am patiently awaiting Brad Thor's new release.

I do most of my reading on my Kindle device, since I fly so very much, and packing a few suitcases of even paperbacks, can be an issue. On a fairly recent trip from San Francisco to Washington, DC, to London, I ended up flying back with a full 3-suiter, filled with paperbacks. I completed 20 on that trip, and soon began fully embracing the Kindle. Now, I fill it up, before I depart, and stick it in the back of my briefcase. Other than having to read Hemispheres, during takeoff and landing, the rest of the flights will involve the Kindle.

Will your book be published for the Kindle (Amazon)?

Just curious, and I think that you have customer knocking at your door...

Well done, and thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

And I'm deeply flattered to be mentioned in the same post as Saul Bass and Paul Bacon! Wow! Thanks, Roy!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to RoysScreenName

Very cool. I'd love that, D'Artagnan.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)