Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Override action "save as" command with save for web batch processing

Jul 6, 2013 6:04 AM

Hi everyone,

I've created an action that uses the save for web dialogue to optimise images for the web. When I use the batch command to process a full folder of images, even though I have "Override action "save as" command" checked, it ignores this and still uses the location that was used when the action was created.

Apparently this is a known issue in CS6 and previous versions but I wondered if anyone knows whether this has been fixed in Photoshop CC?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 6, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

Are you sure of that bug.  Save for web recorded in an action does have a bug but as far as I know it has nothing to do with any path.  The problem I know of is  the actions save the wrong file extension. instead of saving *.jpg files it save *.html files.  When recording the action what gets save is a *.jpg file but the action records *.html into the action step.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/ps_cs6_actions_r ecorded_action_exports_html_instead_of_jpg

Batch can override "Save as" I know but I do not think it can override "Save For Web"

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 6, 2013 11:54 AM   in reply to gwhPoster

gwhPoster wrote:

I can't get batch to override "save for web". Isn't that a bug or is it just a feature that's not available?

Not a bug and not a feature.  You need to learn to read better and understand what you heve read!

SaveAs.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to gwhPoster

Since save for web is an export plugin, none of the destination options have any effect on where the files are saved

or the file names.

Save for web only saves the files to the folder specified when you recorded the action.

(it's always been that way and still is in photoshop cc)

You might look at the Image Processor Pro

(included in Dr. Brown’s Services 2.3.1)

(has a save for web option)

http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Jul 6, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to gwhPoster

Batch as I wrote the first time can override Action"Save As" steps not "Save for Web" steps using the Override Actions Save As option and set a file name model.

The is no option to Override Action "Save for Web" steps you should be able to see that in the Batch dialog.  "Save for web" is complex has many options can save animated gif, convert jpeg to srgb, strip exif. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points