Skip navigation
WaylonCovil
Currently Being Moderated

Why are my .avi files extracted using PE3 only playing audio when using Windows Media Player?

Jul 6, 2013 8:28 AM

I extracted a lot of my old movies using PE3 that came from my 8MM camera. They played fine on XP.

I now have Windows7 64 bit and when I play them in Windows Media Player, they only play the sound.

I'm guessing that this is a codec issue.

Should I re-extract them using a different product that uses a more standard codec?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to WaylonCovil

It depends on your workflow. So we'll need more details.

How did you digitize the video from your 8mm camcorder? Many devices capture as AVIs, but do so while using codecs that aren't universally playable.  Also, do make sure you've got the latest version of Quicktime on your new computer. It can add some important video functionality to your computer.

You say you used Premiere Elements to "extract" your movie. How did you do this? Did you use a device like the ADS Pyro AV Link or Grass Valley Canopus AVDC?

Finally, are you trying to play the raw files or did you create a project with them in Premiere Elements and then Export/Share your video? And, if the latter, which output settings did you choose?

Meantime, try downloading VLC Player to your new computer and see if it can play the files. It is a much better player than Windows Media Player (or Quicktime Player, for that matter). And let us know yoru results.

As I've said, the more details you can give us, the more likely we can help you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to WaylonCovil

Your files SHOULD be standard, but details are needed

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Is it possible you have a Digital8 camcorder rather than an analog 8mm camcorder, Waylon? If so, then, yes, the video you've captured in Premiere Elements over a FireWire connection are, as John says, standard DV-AVIs -- and there is no reason they should not work in any version of Premiere Elements, as well as in any PC-based editing software.

As for Windows Media Player -- I don't know. It can certainly play DV-AVIs. But it can be goofy sometimes.

Use VLC Video Player instead. It's all around a better player that's also capable of playing Quicktime and DVD files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points