Skip navigation
EFEKT Studio
Currently Being Moderated

AE CS5.5 Crash

Jul 6, 2013 12:11 PM

Hi, I'm using AE CS5.5. So, when I try to open a project (any project), AE crashes with this message: "unable to obtain the user language registry key at software adobe after effects... bla bla). I've seen people here had similar problems, but didn't found a solution. Support told me only phone support can help me, but lately I've spend 25 minutes talking to random people without any help, so I wouldn't like to do that, otherwise, my earnings will all go to adobe support phone bills

I'm pretty sure what causes the problem. Scripts installed in docked UI panel. Let me just say that on PC (windows), same AE version, I never had this problems. Now I switched to Mac and I'm having these issues. When I remove scripts for dockable UI panels, and try to open any project, it opens normal. I've also disabled OpenGL to try that too, but that's not the problem.

I also have the latest updates for both AE and OS. Using Mac Pro, dual xeons, 64gb ram.....

Please help, I'm going mad here. (Bought production premium cs6 and after being really disapointed with AE, switched back to cs5.5)

*frustrated*

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 9:37 PM   in reply to EFEKT Studio

Well, and what scripts/ panels do you actually use? Could be an issue with file paths hardcoded in one of the scripts. Have you checked for updated versions of those scripts and contacted the authors?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to EFEKT Studio

This does not seem to be a universal problem. We need to know a lot more about your machine and your projects to figure out why they are crashing. You could even post a project for us to look at and see if we can get the same problem. There are so many variables that without more information there's not much we can suggest.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to EFEKT Studio

Try and think about what you would want to know if you were trying to diagonse the problem. What has changed? What's different? What may be in the project that could be causing the problems. Asking the right question is the first step in finding the solution to the problem. The right question is rarely why is my app crashing?

What scripts exactly? Have you tried removing them one at a time? There could be some other issues with the extended script tool kit or other software that is installed on your machine.

I've run mostly Macs for the past 8 years and never ran across this issue with an almost identical machine running CS 5.5 I've also had dozens of scripts running in a similar configuration.

There also could be something about a project that is causing the crash. Will AE open by it's self? If you are getting a project to open with Caps Lock on and then you can continue with the project by turning off the Caps Lock we need to know what's in the project that may be causing the problem.

Can you Open AE, create a project with just a solid and a text layer, save the project, start a new project, then open the simple project you just saved without a crash? It's details like that that will point us in the right direction. The problem could be anything from a corrupted font to a corrupted script. Sometimes the only way to solve this kind of problem is to just start removing things from the comp or the app until the crash goes away.

One other thing. Has this problem always been there or did it start after you have used AE for a while?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2013 7:19 PM   in reply to EFEKT Studio

Has the Mac always crashed?

Since you can create a simple project that doesn't crash, is there anything that is common to the more complex projects that do crash?

Try opening one of the projects that crashes and removing some of the items in the comp one at a time. This may narrow things down a bit.

If the projects have footage in them then an easy to find out of the footage is causing the problem is to temporarily rename the folder that contains the footage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points