Skip navigation
MommaKarenF
Currently Being Moderated

Can't get Photoshop CC to launch anymore

Jul 6, 2013 3:15 PM

Tags: #trouble #problems #program_error #photoshop_cc #new_os_install_mac #reinstalled_photoshop

Hi-

I've been suffering big this week, perhaps someone will be able to offer some assistance.

Running a imac, 10.84 OS.

Downloaded and installed CC suites on June 24. Things seemed fine, but 4 days later, I am getting spinning beach balls all over and then my computer wouldn't repair itself or start up.

Out of desparation, I took it to the apple store. I found the hardware was good, they reinstalled a fresh OS and wiped everything clean. I backed up from time machine,

everything seemed aok, but no such luck, things are not good with CC products. Thank God I am able to open Photoshop CS6, or I'd be in design trouble.

Currently, I cannot open Photoshop CC "Could ot initialize photoshop because of a program error" even after removing, cleaning and reinstalling it.

I can get Adobe Acrobat 9.0 Pro to open a pdf file for a second, it then shuts down and tells me "Adobe Acrobat was installed as a part of a suite. To enable Adobe Acrobat,

please start another componant of this suite (such as photoshop)"-even while Illustrator CC is open and working (the only CC application that hasn't had problems.

I spent time with an Adobe rep on Monday and we were able to open up a root user on my computer where photoshop launched easily.

Back to my personal user, no go. He blamed apple.

Time with an apple rep where we repaired the ACL, didn't fix it. He said the fact we were able to open it in a root user means that there is something wrong with

a "user specific file" in Adobe's end of things. He blamed Adobe. He also said there are a stack of complaints about CC with apple, that there is a huge problem

with them working nicely together at this point.

Anyone have a solution? Any comment or ideas?

Thank you so much.

Karen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to MommaKarenF

Have you deleted or reset your Photoshop preferences?

Did you install any third party plugins, and if so, have you tried disabling them?

Could you check the PSErrorLog.txt file in your Photoshop preferences folder?  The contents of that might tell us where the program error happens (or might not if it's just an OS error).

The problem with Acrobat sounds like your licensing database might be messed up.

And I'm sorry you got incorrect information from Apple support staff.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 3:39 PM   in reply to MommaKarenF

You can reset the preferences at launch (holding down control-alt-shift/command-option-shift), or by deleting the Photoshop CC Settings folder (~/Library/Preferences/Photoshop CC Settings/...   -- don't forget that Apple hides the Librarry folder on 10.7 and 10.8, so you'll need to make it visible, or use the Go menu in the Finder with the option key held down).

But before you delete the preferences folder, check the PSErrorLog.txt file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to MommaKarenF

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out and are back to working.

I just wish we'd been able to figure out what was causing the program error.

It was probably some corrupt value in the preferences files - but without the old prefs or the PSErrorLog.txt file - I don't know what it might have been.

If something like this happens again, find the Photoshop preferences folder, make a copy, then reset preferences -- then we can examine the broken preferences to see what went wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to MommaKarenF

Most of the licensing issues in CC clear up if you log out of the CreativeCloud app, quit that app, then launch the product (in this case Acrobat).  That will prompt you to login and should reset the activation/licensing info.

In some cases, the licensing database gets messed up -- and to solve that you would need to talk to some of the suite install/licensing folks.  (you have to find and delete some obscure files)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points