Skip navigation
MM in Carlsbad
Currently Being Moderated

SmartSound - 2 copies active?

Jul 6, 2013 3:34 PM

Tags: #free #music #license_issues #smartsound #premiere_elements_11

While Adobe allows me to load and activate Prem Elements 11 on two computers, it seems like the SmartSound content is only available on the first computer.  The SonicFire sofware launches on the second computer but none of the free SmartSound music titles appear, only the ten 30-second audio files that come with Prem Elem 11.

Is this true?

- Mike -

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Mike

Only 10 from Premiere Elements 11.

Your points of reference on this are (Windows 7 or 8 64 bit)

Local Disk C

Smart Sound Software Inc.

Sound Files (.sda files)

and

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Smart Sound Software

and included in the Smart Sound Software Folder is the Common Data Folder with the ReadMe file.

The follow is an excerpt from what I wrote in depth about all this at another forum that I no longer visit nor answer questions at

(the whole thread can be found at http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77091)

Early on I came to the conclusion that these purchased soundtracks were all destined for the same common folder. Bottom line again: See ReadMe.txt that comes with the feature.

But what kept me on the adventure was the finding of those free 10 items (SmartSound soundtracks)representing 8 styles for Premiere Elements 11 SmartSound when the program was installed on Windows 8 64 bit and 36 items (SmartSound soundtracks) representing 19 styles when Premiere Elements 11 was installed on Windows 7 64 bit.

Until proven otherwise, I think that this is the explanation for my puzzlement in this regard.

For that 36 count, all my Premiere Elements versions (including 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11) were installed on Windows 7 64 bit. Each year, the latest version would be installed without me removing the prior version(s). Used one program at a time.

1. Version 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1 came with the same 26 count set, each set containing the same soundtracks with the same file names. The files were not duplicated, triplicated, etc with the yearly addition of new version to computer, just left as 26 items (.sds files) in that Sound Files Folder for all those installed SmartSound applications to share from.

b. Now here is where things led to misinterpretation of just how many of these free soundtracks were being offered by our latest Premiere Elements. When 9.0/9.0.1 arrived on the scene and a free soundtrack count was done, 10 additional ones were noted, giving a total of 36. BUT, that 36 was just for me with those prior versions installed. If someone were to purchase version 9.0/9.0.1 and install it on a "clean" computer that had never seen Premiere Elements/SmartSounds, it would be evident that the program offered ONLY 10 free SmartSound soundtracks, not 26 or 36. As it turns out, it looks like Premiere Elements 10 and 11 each came with those same 10 free soundtracks as offered in version 9.0/9.0.1.

c. Additional studies seemed to show that these free "10" are not recognized by versions 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, presumably because of the distinctive way that the manufacturer created the files (multi "SDS" files for one free soundtrack).

Please ask me here if you have questions about what I have written.

Thanks.

ATr

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Not to deviate too greatly from the OP's questions, but I think I can share a little background on this line:

Additional studies seemed to show that these free "10" are not recognized by versions 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, presumably because of the distinctive way that the manufacturer created the files (multi "SDS" files for one free soundtrack).

While I am not as versed on the exact PrE versions of SmartSound, as you are, and where I have not had all versions of PrE installed, I have used SmartSound for many years.

Going back about 5-6 years, SmartSound began offering a lot of their music library as Multi-Track productions. This coincided with about the release of Sonicfire Pro 4 (maybe 3.5?). At that time, Sonicfire Pro was only available as a stand-alone program. At that time, the plug-in for PrE, PrPro, Pinnacle Studio, and some other host programs, was their QuickTracks module. For some time, the Multi-Track music pieces could be accessed and edited with the SmartSound QuickTracks plug-in, though not to the extent that they could be edited with Sonicfire Pro, but remember, that was a stand-alone program. Sonicfire Pro and QuickTracks plug-in could edit all other SmartSound music files - though none of those had the additional benefit of the Multi-Track files.

Then, about 3 years ago, SmartSound began shipping a Sonicfire Pro plug-in module, which replaced the QuickTracks module. This Sonicfire Pro 5 version, ExpressTracks, was also offered as a free download. A new Sonicfire Pro 5 version, Scoring Edition was added, at a price around US $120. It allowed even more power, when editing Multi-Track music. At that time, SmartSound began only producing Multi-Track music, that could be edited/used with Sonicfire Pro (either version), but NOT with the older QuickTracks plug-in.

I assumption would be that the music, now included with SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro, is of the later Multi-Track group - so host NLE programs, with the older QuickTracks cannot even see them, let alone edit them.

I have over 150 SmartSound discs, and they range from their very inexpensive "Home Movie" collection, that is almost all 22KHz music, up to many of the newer Multi-Track discs. About 1/2 of those are of the older style, that will work in QuickTracks (still have that in my PrPro CS 2), plus both types of Sonicfire Pro 5. The other 1/2 will NOT work in QuickTracks, but ONLY in Sonicfire Pro.

Since I have Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition (the paid, full version), that is actually what I see in PrE 11. My PrE 4 only has QuickTracks, so it cannot use the later Multi-Track discs, unless I go outside of PrE 4, to Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition.

Also, each purchased version of Sonicfire Pro (going back to about version 2), came with a fairly extensive library of included SmartSound Music files, and most were, IIRC, Multi-Track, as that was the selling point of Sonicfire Pro.

Note on dates above: all are approximations, and are based on when I encountered changes in SmartSound Music. I could be off a year, or so, in either direction.

Hope that helps.

Hunt

PS - Thank you for posting the number of included SmartSound Music files, included with PrE. Because my collection goes back many, many years, I can no longer tell where certain files came from, or when they were installed. By the time that I picked up PrE, I already had a fairly sustantial collection, with many of those files coming from Pinnacle/AVID, and from several versions of Sonicfire Pro, going back many versions, and PrPro for several versions, plus directly from SmartSound. Glad that you could do that research.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

I am dealing exclusively with the free SmartSound QuickTrack soundtracks as per the original question. I have never purchased any additional soundtracks and have never gotten involved in that. As you know, on my Windows 7 64 bit computer, I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, 10, and 11. So I have a unique perspective on the issue at hand which was brought to light for me when I obtained a laptop with Windows 8 64 bit and started installing Premiere Elements 11 and 10 on it.

Back in Windows 7 64 bit, this is what initially confronted me when I went looking under Local Disk C, Smart Sound Software, Inc/Sound Files....a stark contrast to the 10 free SmartSound Quick Track soundtracks that I found in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 8 64 bit which had never seen another Premiere Elements version before that.

(and this is all that I could fit in my screenshot..there is much much more)

Windows 7.JPG

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I am dealing exclusively with the free SmartSound QuickTrack soundtracks as per the original question.

c. Additional studies seemed to show that these free "10" are not recognized by versions 7, 8.0/8.0.1, 9.0/9.0.1, presumably because of the distinctive way that the manufacturer created the files (multi "SDS" files for one free soundtrack).

I am explaining why earlier versions of PrE, using QuickTracks will not work with later Multi-Track files. Your studies are correct - earlier versions of SmartSound, using QuickTracks will NOT see the Multi-Track files.

If you do not wish to know why, then just ignore what I wrote.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

Never ignore any information. Must have overlooked your point on the my first read of your post. Will give it another read.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:29 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Mike,

There are basically two parts to the SmartSound/Sonicfire Pro, provided in PrE 11.

There are the various Library Handler files, plus some similar files, and then there are the .SDS music files, themselves.

In this view of Sonicfire Pro 5 (note: your exact display will likely be a bit different, as I have Sonicfire Pro 5 - Scoring Edition, that opens from PrE, though it is a full-paid program, and not the Sonicfire Pro 5 - Express Tracks plug-in version, that ships with, and installs into PrE), from Tools, one has the option to set the location of the SmartSound files, like the Library files (keep those in the default, and do not Move them), and then the .SDS music files.

Sonicfire_Pro_5_Tools.png

That will allow you to set the location of your .SDS music files, as desired, in Computer B - the one without the music files. Mine are on an external HDD, Y:\, but you will want to locate that folder on your internal HDD. Then, just go to computer A, with the .SDS SmartSound Music files, and just Copy them to the destination, that you specified.

I would then make sure to go to Tools, and Update all Libraries, just so that you have the most recent Library Handler files. When you launch Sonicfire Pro from PrE on that second computer, where you Copied the .SDS files, they should be accessed. If not, go back and verify that you pointed Sonicfire Pro to the folder location, where you did Copy the files.

Please let me know how that works.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Have you gone to the SmartSound Web site, and updated your Sonicfire Pro module for PrE. With some early PrE installations, that update was required to get things working perfectly.

Sonicfire Pro will usually notify you if you have any pending updates, but that is basically for the Library Handler files. One note on those: with SmartSound, in what was called the Maestro module (do not recall if that name is still used), where you choose the music, you will have some options, such as Owned by Me, On My Computer, on the Internet. That last one ties you to the SmartSound Web site, and to ALL of their music files. By updating your Library Handler files, you will then have direct access to everything on SmartSound - all of their Libraries. Now, I usually only have Owned by Me, or On My Computer checked, unless I need to go beyond my collection, and buy either a disc, or maybe a single cut, from SmartSound.

The update for Sonicfire Pro was not showing for many users, but by doing that update manually, about everyone got SmartSound to then function properly.

I do not have the URL for that update, but know that Bill Sprague posted that in an earlier thread.

As for the .SDS files, so long as you have the necessary Library Handlers, in their default location, I have just Copied my many hundreds over, when I changed computers. Many go back about 10 years, and all work fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I believe that this was the Adobe KB Article that Bill linked to: http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/installing-smartsound.html

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Mike,

Excellent news! Thank you for reporting your success.

Hope that you enjoy SmartSound. I have been using it extensively for many years, and could not do many of my soundtracks, without it.

Enjoy, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

MM in Carlsbad

Thanks for the follow up.

Success!  SmartSound now works correctly on both installations.

There was an old TV series where the lead always ended with "I love it when a plan comes together". I always think of that at moments like this.

Good job on your follow through and troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points