Skip navigation
MM in Carlsbad
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a trick to adjusting the Beats Detect Settings?

Jul 6, 2013 4:03 PM

Tags: #detect #beats #p #premiere_elements_11

I'm having trouble with the results of Beats Detect in Premiere Elements 11? The Adobe Classroom in a Book offers no advice on adjusting the settings, other than to say that the defaults usually work fine.

Can you offer any advice on those settings?  At this point, I feel that marking the beats manually with the * key is more reliable.

Thanks.

- Mike -

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

You should have an adjustment dialog screen, where you can adjust:

• Minimum time between beats in sec.
    • Difference in dbs
    • Window in ms

The latter two are under the Advanced settings.

Do you not get that dialog screen?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

MM in Carlsbad

I have never been able to master detecting musical beats. I had a relative who is a professional musician try to get me to understand what I was hearing, no way. Enough about my problems with this feature and me.

Are you so musically inclined that you can hear the beats in music? If not, I would go with the defaults and let the feature's Difference identify the louder or lower beats and the other controls do their thing according to what you hear overall and adjust accordingly.  I do not see where recommended settings are going to help with the variation from music to music.

Beats.JPG

I will see if I can find someone who has customized the feature to his/her satisfaction and written about it.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Thanks for that info. I was afraid that you were not getting that dialog box.

My personal experience is very close to ATR's.

I normally use Adobe Audition, which does a far better job (but it should for the price), or use that * tapping. Then, if necessary, I will "fine tune" my Markers, by zooming the Timeline horizontally, then expanding the Audio Track vertically, to visually check those Markers, with the Waveform Display.

Maybe Steve G., or others, will have some useful tips on tweaking the settings in Beat Detect.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

MM in Carlsbad

As per my comment of searching around for some tips on those beat markers....

Have you seen the following Adobe article..I suspect it tells you no more than you already know.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS9488D20A-A1AC-42f b-B7E3-730C35D7EC96.html

You may find this older thread (2009) from here of interest

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390314

That thread made me think "What happened to Create Slideshow Feature" when Premiere Elements 11 was released. In the 2009 thread, SG seems to indicate that was the Beats feature's most useful application.

Premiere Elements 11 does have the Create Slideshow Feature. If you go to Project Assets and are in the List View and select more than one file, then right click in the highlight, you get a pop up which includes Create Slideshow. I need to road test that one.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to MM in Carlsbad

Mike,

You are most welcome. The * key, has always been the one on the numeric keypad, and works for me on both my laptops, plus my workstation.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points