Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to get blueprint colour codes of my image?

Jul 6, 2013 6:50 PM

Tags: #colour #plug-in #coding

So image a picture of a red apple with a yellow background.  How do I make adobe print out he colour codes of the yellow and red within the image?  I know I can manually use the eyedropper tool and then find the colour codes and then manually type it in.  However, I was wondering if I can get Adobe to automatically place this code on the image itself.  Do I need a special customized plug-in for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 8:53 PM   in reply to AdobeNewb88

I have not done it, but if I recall, as long as you have a postscript printer and driver, the driver will allow you to print the spot colors outside the crop area of the print. (Crop in this instance is the cut marks for the paper cutter not the crop tool like in photoshop)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to AdobeNewb88

AdobeNewb,

For something like this you should use Photoshop, with the Eyedropper at 1 px.

Illy sees what you see: the colour presented by the monitor, not the actual colour in the image. See post #3 by Mike in this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5148981#5148981

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 5:37 AM   in reply to AdobeNewb88

You could always try this - it's a bit of a hacky-workaround but...

• Select your artwork
    • Go to the swatches panel and open it's panel menu (at the top right of the panel)
    • Choose the "Add Selected Colors" option

This will create you a range of swatches - they will most likely have a small white triangle in the bottom right-hand corner

• Deselect your artwork
    • Double click the first swatch that you created
    • Copy the value that is highlighted in the top field
    • Hit ESC to close the dialog
    • Paste the value ontpo the artboard

Rinse and repeat as required

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 5:51 AM   in reply to AdobeNewb88

How do I make adobe...?...I was wondering if I can get Adobe to...?

Good luck on getting Adobe to do anything for you.

Adobe is not software. Adobe is a company. The software discussed in this forum is Illustrator.

So image a picture of a red apple with a yellow background.

I assume you meant to say "imagine a picture...".

"Picture" is ambiguous. The page of any program like Illustrator can contain any number of objects. Some of those objects are pixel-based images (raster images). Most objects you create in programs like Illustrator are mathematically-defined shapes (vector paths).

It's always important here to clarify what kinds of objects you are describing. This has a direct bearing on the answer to your question.

How do I make [Illustrator] print out he colour codes of the yellow and red within the image?

If in this sentence you are talking about a raster image, you will be hard pressed to automate that. Each pixel of a raster image is individually assigned a color. And while an Illustrator file can contain raster images, its primary purpose is creating and manipulating vector paths.

I know I can manually use the eyedropper tool and then find the colour codes and then manually type it in. However, I was wondering if I can get Adobe to automatically place this code on the image itself.

If you are refering to vector paths, clicking with the Eyedropper tool causes the Color palette to indicate the color applied to the object, and causes the Swatches palette to indicate the Swatch applied, if you used one.

But if you are refering to raster images, shiftClicking with the Eyedropper tool merely samples the color of the monitor pixel(s) where you clicked.

If you build your illustration methodically like you should, you store the colors you use as Swatches and then apply those Swatches to the paths you draw.

Do I need a special customized plug-in for this?

In Illustrator, yes. Programs like Illustrator are originally and are primarily designed for commerical printing, and can therefore print separation names on the sheet when printed as color-separations. Separation names are the names of the component inks from which the colors used will be built when printed.

Some programs (FreeHand, for example) provide a reporting feature which exports an organized text file containing names and values of colors defined in the documment (and much, much more). But not Illustrator.

But you want the colors to be listed on the page itself; in other words, you want a color legend.

Assuming you are defining Swatches as you work, you could simply set the Swatches palette to a list view, take a screenshot of the palette and paste that onto the page.

Beyond that, yes, you would need some kind of non-standard, added-on feature. There are probably third-party plug-ins that do it. I automate it with a Javascript.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 6:27 AM   in reply to AdobeNewb88

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers