Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Hyperlink to a wordpress site

Jul 6, 2013 7:13 PM

Tags: #pdf #video #ebook #hyperlink #wordpress

Hi, I'm working on an ebook for an author who has videos on her website that I would like readers to have the ability to click on a hyperlink in the ebook to watch the appropriate video on her site. I'm exporting to an interactive .pdf file.

The problem is that two different error messages come up from the hyperlinks in the .pdf file. One is:

This document is trying to connect to: file:///Users/...

If you trust this site, choose Allow. If you do not trust this site, choose Block.

When I select Allow, nothing happens.

The other error message is this:  http://meganskinner.com/blog/%3Fpage_id%3D1053 which takes the reader to an error page.

The site that has the videos was created with wordpress. The developer sent 'alternative' urls to use, and also tried creating a separate page that is outside wordpress, and they all bring readers to the 2nd error message (that they're lost).

I checked, all the urls I'm trying work outside of the .pdf files created by InDesign.

Has anyone has these issues, and if so, what's the secret?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kathy Bizzoco

Green Frog Publishing

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

There's some issues with hyperlinks created in ID. There are some extensive post in this forum that include a script to fix them. But for this particular case you can try the following:

1) Highlight the URL in your ID

2) Type/Hyperlink & Cross-References/New Hyperlink from URL

Found one of the posts: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4463255#4463255

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

Does the URL work if you paste it into a browser? It would be good to know if the URL is even valid before you try fixing a problem with it in ID.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

I tested it and it takes me to the website. This is what I get in the pdf:Hyperlink Test.JPG

If you already created the hyperlink, you might need to deleted it and enter it again fresh and give it another try.

By the way, the two steps I gave you is all you need to do before exporting it to PDF interactive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

I don't know why it doesn't work with you. I'm on windows CS6. Try this: create a new document, enter just the URL in the text box. Follow the 2 steps I gave you (nothing else) and then export it to PFD interactive. Tell me if you see a difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

Don't know what else to tell you. As shown in post 4, what I get in the PDF is exactly the URL you mention and when I click on it, it takes me to the website. I'm using Google Chrome by the way. Did you check the link I gave you? I think there's a script that you can run to fix the problem with the conversion of the hyperlinks.

Are you sure you are following exactly the steps I gave you? Enter the URL, select it (highlight it) then use New Hyperlink from URL (if you choose Convert URLs to Hyperlinks it won't work).

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 6:43 PM   in reply to GreenFrogPublishing

For the script check this: http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign.php

A little more detailed instructions to install the script: http://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-install-a-script-in-indesign-that-yo u-found-in-a-forum-or-blog-post.php

Have you tried exporting your ID document to epub?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points