Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CC MultiCam cannot make cut edits

Jul 6, 2013 8:03 PM

I have the PC version Pr CC Version 7.0.0 I am trying to use the multicam function to edit a video from three, 60 minute long videos from a dance recital. The raw files are Canon MXF files shot at 1080, 30P, 35 MBPS. I used the Adobe tutorial video "Using Multicam Mode to auto-sync multiple angles or takes" to setup my 3 MXF files as a multicam sequence. Everything works well. I can play the video, see the 3 views, and switch among the views but no cut edits get put into the multicam sequence as they did in the tutorial video. What do I do to get the cut edits?

After further work sometimes I do get the cut edits and sometimes I do not get them.

The box surrounding the current view starts out as yellow.

If I move the scrub needle to a new position in the timeline and click on another view the new view gets the yellow box but no cut edit line appears at that location.

When I click on Play and as the scrub needle moves along I click on another view, the new view gets a red box around it.

When I stop the video a cut edit line appears where I changed the view.

It seems like I have to make all of my view changes on the fly.

What is the reason for the red and yellow highlight boxes?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 9:15 PM   in reply to Francis Breen

If I move the scrub needle to a new position in the timeline and click on another view the new view gets the yellow box but no cut edit line appears at that location : that is correct, that's a way of changing cameras.

When I click on Play and as the scrub needle moves along I click on another view, the new view gets a red box around it. ; that is also correct. every time you click on another camera it is highlighted red and make a cut.

you can edit manually by cutting the clip at the end of a scene with the cut tool and, while the scrub line is still at the cut point; either click the new camera in the multi camera monitor or press the number key on your key board and it will change the camera ahead of the scrub needle.

It seems like I have to make all of my view changes on the fly. I actually recomend editing on the fly and then going back and make the required fine adjustments manually. you may be surprized at how quick that is. I just finished a 3 camera 3 1/2 hour dance show doing that very thing (In CS 6 not CC7). I first watch one entire dance, then play it again making my cuts on the fly, then go back and adjust, maybe adding dissolves etc. It's pretty quick

What is the reason for the red and yellow highlight boxes? the red box indicates which camera angle is being recorded (recorded means the software is remembering the cuts) while playing the timeline and making cuts by selecting different cameras during play. The yellow box indicates which camera WAS recorded and is now "hot" during playback of an edited section.

Be carefull using CC7 it does have some serious bugs in the multi camera feature and can mess you up big time. CS6 is stable, I recomend that you use CS6 if you can, until the fix the CC7 bug ... the following is what I JUST went through today:

Finally experienced the multi camera edit bug I've been hearing about: thinking everything was good after editing for a couple of three days ... got a premiere "error warning" after reopening the project I found the last 183 edits which had been auto saving for 1 hr 20 mins, now all start from the beginning of the original clip or are just black and are not fixable. Each edit is now a small clip of a duration of the distance between edit points, almost like the clips had been pulled out of the preview folder as little rendered clips, except they all contain junk.

The good news is: This is a two act play, the first act in a seperate sequence in the same project is fine. the first 16 mins of act two is fine, the next 20 mins of act 2 is screwed up. Only had another 15 mins to go and I was done. I'm going to see if I can continue. try to save all the audio editing. The screwed up edits at least mark the edit points. I'll move them to a different layer and use them as a guide to my edit discisions. I'll post what happens.

interesting ... tried to do the above ... while in the program monitor it seemed to be working ... after switching to the multi cam monitor it went right back to the "begining of the clip" syndrome. I hope I havn't lost the entire project. I'll try going back to the last "good" saved project

OK. went back to the last good auto saved project (9 saves back) and just continued on from B4 it got messed up ... saving frequently and re-opening the project after every segment. now I'm back to where it all got screwed up. Yay!!! Phew!!! could have been worse I guess. I'll be editing my next project in CS6 for sure. I think CC7 should be recalled. It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

Previous versions did add a cut when you stopped.  Some folks really didn't like it.  Adobe changed it.

I agree with Nick.  Play through first in real time, making your rough cuts.  Then go through a second time and tweak them as needed.  I find this to be the most efficient work flow.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 10:20 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

Yes, not a bug, when stopped you need to cut with the cut tool (hot key: c

to select the cut tool) then change the view on the clip ahead of the cut

point

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Francis Breen

When the Program Monitor is in the multicam mode, transitions are not reflected. If you switch the monitor to Composite mode, then you should see your transitions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Francis Breen

While in the multi camera monitor transitions and motion is not seen ...

change to the regular program monitor and you should see the transitions

etc. The same applies if you fade to black using the clip transparency

controls. It will not effect any rendering

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Francis Breen

Take note also that there is a multicam bug with CC.  It may well affect how you do things, and even if you use CC for the project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1236698?tstart=90

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points