Skip navigation
longbeachda311
Currently Being Moderated

Image sequence problems.

Jul 6, 2013 6:31 PM

Tags: #cs6 #image_sequence

When I try and open images using image sequence, it does not open all the consecutively numbered files.  It only opens about half of them 471 or 873.  Why is this?  I have copied the files, batch renmaed a few times, and still it does not open all 873.  I can tell this by the short length and when I go to export it only says "files up to 471" and it is not the entire folder. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to longbeachda311

I know in importing video frames it only allows 500.  You may be running into similar problem, and/or resource limitations.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to longbeachda311

Is your system and photoshop 32 bit or 64 bit? You may be running into a ram issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,011 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to longbeachda311

Just because Photoshop supports many layers it does not mean Photoshop will perform well with many layers.  And there are different limits for many things. Like 53 Alpha channels is Photoshop limit.  For example I dropped a music video onto CS6. Photoshop opened it and played it without problem.  In the Timeline flyout menu I used the option to flatten the video into frames.  It took forever and a day to do that.  When the operation was done I saw there were over 7K layers in the layers palette by the top layer name. Photoshop was still working on the layers palette. It had not rendered any thumbnails yet in it. It took an other 15 or so minuets to do that.  Then I could scroll the layers palette painfully slow.  It took much time to delete a 1000 layers.  Each time I delete a 1000 layers Photoshop performance improved.  When I has 1000 layers remaining.  I rendered a image sequence using 1 FPS as the frame rate.  1000 jpeg files were saved.  I close al the documents in Photoshop I had open. Then opened the 1000 image sequence. It opened a a video  and when I flattened the video I saw 1000 layers.

The script load files into a stack would only load about 281 jpeg images out of the 1000 files. It depend on the feature you use and your configuration.  I saw Photoshop turn off OpenGL at one point for files some limit was hit.  OpenGL and GPU was not turned off for all open documents just new ones.  My workstation has 40GB ram and dual 6 core xeon processors and a few hundred GB of scratch space. Mileage may vary..

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to longbeachda311

What is too often underestimated by too many users is the amount of free disk space available for Photoshop's scratch.

My personal rule of thumb is to figure on up to 50 to 100 times or more the size of your largest file multiplied by the number of files you have open.

I use Photoshop practically only as my digital darkroom, never work on video, so the numbers of simultaneously open files being bandied about here is completely beyond me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points