Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Program monitor keeps going black in Premiere Pro CC

Jul 6, 2013 10:33 PM

PC - Premiere Pro CC - AMD Fire Pro (13.101-130604a-158071E-ATI)

I'm working on a project and the program monitor keeps going black in Premiere Pro CC while I am working on the timeline. I've got like 28 GB of memory alocated to the program and just updated the latest driver for my video card. No clue why this keeps happening, but the only way I can get around it is to restart. When I go to close down the program freezes and I have to shut it down in the system preferences.

Under a crazy deadline if you can help? Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 12:31 AM   in reply to jonathanbradford@me.com

Let's start by determining how widespread the problem is--whether it's limited to this sequence or project...

• Does this happen throughout the timeline or only in particular places?
    • Was this project that created in CC or an earlier version?
    • What happens if you create a new project and create a very simple sequence--say just a Universal Counting Leader?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to jonathanbradford@me.com

If you provided the information asked for in http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840 it will go a long way toward people being able to help

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Same sort of issue. When laying video in the time line it's fine. But when i stop the preview goes black. Going back to CS6 for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 8:43 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

I'm experiencing the same issue in CS6 on Win8 64-bit.

- Happens in no particular place, and across projects (have run into this 3-4 times across 2 projects. Have not tested others).

- Created in CS6.

- Have not tried a new project.

I can't seem to reproduce it intentionally - it just happens when moving back and forth in the timeline, but doesn't seem related. In my case, the files in the sequence are a mix of high-res JPG and h.264 4k mp4 files. The Program monitor goes from showing the sequence to black, and won't come back. Restarting the program fixes it temporarily, but that's a speed-bump in my editing highway.

Premiere Pro CS6 6.0.3 (GPU accel is on)

AMD FX8320

16GB RAM

eVGA nVidia GTX 570 

I do have the Magic Bullet suite, but it's not being used in this project. The only other program running at the time is Chrome.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to dtb.clay

What Nvidia driver are you running? If it's 320.xx, try rolling back to 311.50.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 8:37 PM   in reply to jonathanbradford@me.com

Also having the same issue.

Everything was working fine. Then one day I turned on Prmiere Pro and I could see nothing in the program monitor. Just black. Luckily I had just finished a video and was just trying to make a final few tweaks. Audio is working fine. Have tried udating, restarting PP, closing the sequence and opening again, etc etc. Nothing has worked so far.

Permiere Pro CC 7.0

Windows 7 Professional V6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

664bit System

Lenovo T430 Laptop

16GB RAM

Intel core i5 processor

NVIDEO NVM 5200M - Adapter RAM = 1GB.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to nodge88

here's my story. I'm also having this problem with video appearing in the Program monitor. The only thing I did differently is that yesterday when I was editing, I pulled the Program monitor out of the main Premiere interface and dragged it over to my second desktop monitor. that worked just dandy.

when I opened Premiere today, and opened an entierly different project, there was no video in the output window (and it was locked back into the main interface). I also can't select clips on the TL. The software locks up, and I have to restart.

I am able to create a new project and render the countdown leader. I was also able to import the project that wasn't displaying correctly, and have it work just like normal. So I think I'm back in business for now.

I'm deeply concerned though. I'm doing a webinar about Premiere very soon (with rehearsals tomorrow!). A failure like this looks bad for everybody. Also, I don't relish having to re-import all of my old projects in this way to get the basics working again. Any idea what went wrong? Right now I feel like I'd better never drag the program window to a second monitor to enjoy a larger program monitor while editing.

Premiere Pro CS6 - Mighty Kilt

Win 7 home premium SP1 - 64 bit OS

Gateway dx4870

intel core i7-3779 @3.40GHz

16gigs ram

GeForce GTX560

driver 320.49 (just reinstalled to be sure)

I haven't installed any new software that I know of between the last time I edited with the Program on monitor #2 and right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 2:26 PM   in reply to bohus TV OPS

>driver 320.49

Did you read message #5 to see what Mark said?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:58 PM   in reply to John T Smith

I did. When I tried to install that specific version of the driver, there was some hardware clas and it wouldn't go.

I got in touch with Adobe via their chat system, and their amazing tech support pro took care of me. In my case, it seems to have been a plug-in that was hanging up the project for whatever reason. To all appearances it was the problem you guys were running into on this thread, but in reality in my case it was just a non-working project going kablooey.

It had nothing to do with the prior project having a different desktop setup. I was afraid that I'd let out some of the blue smoke when I made those changes in my Premiere workspace. Since each project saves its own workspace prefs, my choices weren't going to affect other projects.

My solve was to create a fresh poject, and just import the non-working one... and then everything was fine. I'm still not happy about it, because I feel like this problem could happen at any time again in the future. I jsut hope this workaround keeps working when I need it again someday.

Thanks for the zippy answer, and thanks to Adobe's excellent tech support. I'm really impressed.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to jonathanbradford@me.com

Hi everybody,

I have the same problem - program monitor just stops working randomly. It happens in all timelines, not just one specific one. I think I maybe can see some kind of pattern; if there is a large psd-file in the TL or if there are several psd-files in it, but I am not sure about this.
    I have to close the project and reopen it  several times.

I run latest CC versions of Premiere

W7 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 570 (320.49)

IntelCore i7 920 @2.67

16 GB RAM

Greatful to know if and how this issue was solved.
    Regards,

Håkan

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points