Skip navigation
Teaching_ADBE
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CC EPUB export 'Improvements'

Jul 7, 2013 4:42 AM

Tags: #html #css #epub #epub3

Hi,

I am comparing InDesign CC EPUB export features vs. CS6 and previous versions. Not such a big deal, unfortunately, but there is something that called my attention. I don't know if this is happening to you as well:

When I export my InDesign layout into an EPUB 2.0.1 file, everything is just basically the same as always. I expand it, open the HTML in Dreamweaver and work out the CSS styles.

But, if exactly the same file, with exactly the same EPUB export options is saved as EPUB 3.0 file, and I try to do exactly the same, when I open some of the XHTML chapters of my book in Dreamweaver, I don't get the CSS stylesheet tab to access directly to the CSS styles. So I have to locate it and open it manually.

I discovered that the only difference between the same HTML form my EPUB 2.0 and EPUB 3 is that the earlier has an extra XML line of code at the beginning as "<DOCTYPE=..."

If I copy and paste that line in the EPUB 3 exported HTML, then is able to locate its own CSS and put it into the dependent files tab area properly.

So, could this be considered as a bug? Or is it just an EPUB3 convention that must be followed? Because it is pretty unconfortable to work without those tabs!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 9:43 PM   in reply to Teaching_ADBE

Hi,

There is a problem in Dreamweaver that it still expects the DOCTYPE whereas it is actually not required for xhtml5. This is more of a Dreamweaver issue rather than an export issue with InDesign.

Regards,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to Teaching_ADBE

It is not fixed in Dreamweaver CC. One way is to add DOCTYPE to the xhtml file: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd"> manually and then try opening in Dreamweaver. It will then show the ID generated CSS.

Thanks,

Pooja

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2013 9:46 PM   in reply to Teaching_ADBE

Actually, you just need <!DOCTYPE html> and not all the rest - epubcheck will complain about the external DTDs.

In the next update to InDesign CC we've put this back in the files for EPUB 3 so this particular annoyance will go away.

Douglas Waterfall

Architect, InDesign Engineering

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2014 10:38 AM   in reply to Teaching_ADBE

Fixed in 9.2.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)